Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

what I'm working on

After I did that snowman that turned out to be freaky scary I thought I did a fridgie snowman which isn't together yet and now I'm working on a rudolph the red nosed reindeer hat for kids. I'm using a H hook and a Bernat super value yarn. I had the hat and one of the earflaps which looked too small and the hat looked too small too. I took out the hat and the earflap and continued crocheting the circle (top of the hat) bigger. It's ch 2 and 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook. You probably know how to make a circle. 2 sc's in ea of the 6 sc. and then each row is increased by 6 sc's cause you started w/6 sc's. After the 2 sc's in ea of the 6sc's the next rnd is 2 sc's and increase, next rnd 3 sc's and increase, next rnd 4 sc's and increase, next row 5 sc's and increase.

the pattern I'm doing doesn't increase in the first stitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to say that the 7 sc's and increase made the hat too small. I have it up to 12 sc's and increase. Do you think that would work for a child's hat? How big would you suggest the top of the hat be?

3. Likes kl1000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, The flat circle is your guide to how big you need.
    I made baby hats and made the circle between 5 and 6 inches.

Below is a link for hat circumference if you need it.

what I'm working on

anniespictureperfect.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-properly-size-crochet-hats-chart.html

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Spoula. I did one more rnd of sc-it's 13 sc's and then 2 sc's in next st around and it's 5 and a half inches.

I did another rnd so it's 14 sc's and increase around. It looks like it would be big enough for the top of a child's head but according to the chart it looks like it should be bigger.? Children have different size heads.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 09-15-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, Don't forget crochet stretches.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    For the flat circle I got up to the 14 sc's and 2 sc's in next st (increase) around. Then I did some rnds on the sides and it is big enough for a basket. So I weaved in the ends and tied it off. Before when I did this and then ended up taking some out I had up to 7 sc's and increase and it was too small. Now I started another one and did up to 8 sc's and increase around and did the first rnd on the side. (8 sc's and 2 sc's in next st is 60 sts. The pattern says to do 54 or 60 sts.) The pattern says to use a G, H, or I hook or the size needed to obtain gauge. I was using a H hook. I'm now using a I hook and making my stitches a little bigger so it's easier on my hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    For the flat circle I got up to the 14 sc's and 2 sc's in next st (increase) around. Then I did some rnds on the sides and it is big enough for a basket. So I weaved in the ends and tied it off. Before when I did this and then ended up taking some out I had up to 7 sc's and increase and it was too small. Now I started another one and did up to 8 sc's and increase around and did the first rnd on the side. (8 sc's and 2 sc's in next st is 60 sts. The pattern says to do 54 or 60 sts.) The pattern says to use a G, H, or I hook or the size needed to obtain gauge. I was using a H hook. I'm now using a I hook and making my stitches a little bigger so it's easier on my hands.
    Hi Jean Marie, I am confused I thought you were making a baby hat or child's hat. Once you get your flat circle the circumference you need ( I used 5 to 6 inches for the crown of the head) after that you do not increase your stitches but continue around the stitches you have after you get your flat circle the size you want it. After I made my flat circle I continued around in a circle enough to cover the baby's ears. I think it was about 6 inches from the top of the crown to where I thought it would cover the ears. I am guessing as I didn't have the measurements of the baby. All my items are guess work.
    Below is one of the hats I made is this the kind you are making.
    Spoula

what I'm working on-hat-jpg
    Last edited by spoula; 09-17-2018 at 03:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am following a pattern for a reindeer hat for a child. I got up to the sides of the hat and one earflap. The hook I was using was the H hook. My stitches were tight. The hat was too small for a child (even though I had 7 sc's and a increase on the last rnd before starting the sides) and I couldn't stretch it very much. I took out the earflap and the sides of the hat so I just had the circle or top of the hat and I continued to make it bigger. Although I made it too big so I decided to make it a basket. I started over following the pattern and this time used a I hook and made my stitches a little bit looser and did the 8 sc's and increase for the top of the hat and and did 5 rnds on the sides. It looks like a good size for a child.

the sides are 3 inches now.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 09-16-2018 at 06:51 PM.