Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

What is a Afghan hook #10

What I am working on--the pattern calls for a #10 Afghan hook. What is a Afghan hook #10-2003-baby-afghan-blanket-jpg

I made this blanket back in 2003, my one and only crochet work. I want to start to crochet again--loved doing this but forgot most of what I knew and what I used for a #10 Afghan hook. I found this hook at Walmart's--will it work? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crochet-Afghan-Hook/17370800.

Thanks for looking. Lucie
    Last edited by Lucie; 08-28-2018 at 08:41 AM.

2. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie,
    https://www.craftsy.com/crocheting/a...crochet-hooks/

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/tuni...t-hooks-978459

the longer the hook is, the harder it can be on your hands. You might want to look into a flexible afghan hook( one with a cord) so it's not so hard on your hands.

The blanket you posted is Very Nice You did a Nice job
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 08-28-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bamboo hook that is very long and it was in my crochet bag that I carried when doing my one and only blanket. It doesn't have a hook at the end so I can't imagine how I used it? I didn't think I would be crocheting again and gave away a whole bag of crochet and knitting needles--darn. And thanks again for your help. I will keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie,
    Is the bamboo hook a Knitting needle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! That’s the hook you need. I made a blanket amazingly similar to the pictured one. Great job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lucie. That is an adorable blanket I bet that took some time to make. How did you incorporate the solid squares with animals? Did you join them or sew them on later?

Good job,
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean, My sister was an amazing seamstress--made suits, wedding dresses, children's clothes, etc. I don't remember her ever knitting or crocheting. She passed away several years ago and left a stash of hooks and a few unfinished cross stitch projects for her grand kids that she never got around to completing. After I retired I learned how to cross stitch--completed them, and gave them to her grand kids. I think the needle I used was a bamboo crochet needle--it had a hook on the end. The one I found in my bag was probably a knitting needle that escaped being scrapped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula, it did take some time to make--only because it was a kit I had around for 25+ years before getting around to trying to learn crochet. My first three panels were three different lengths before I got the feel of the tension. So I started over and got through 3 or four panels before running out of yarn. I purchased new white yarn, but it was a much brighter white; the yarn that came with the kit had yellowed over the years. Soooo, I started all over once more. I crocheted five separate panels, joined them together, crocheted the edges, and then cross stitched animals on top of squares as shown in instructions. Earlier this year I found a pattern for baby booties, but couldn't figure out the pattern so I have put that project aside for a later date. I decided to do the same blanket in the picture to refresh my memory on how to crochet and to get used to feeling the correct tension.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imalefty View Post
    Hi! That’s the hook you need. I made a blanket amazingly similar to the pictured one. Great job!
    Well, I have started my first square and will start a new post for a couple of questions that are dinging away in my mind. I just noticed the option to post thanks/likes and have spent an hour or so checking out posted pictures--AWESOME!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Luci, You did an awsome job. I like to make baby things they don't take as long to finish. The problem is the babies grow up to fast so I make my items a little bit bigger so they can grow into them. If you run into trouble there are a lot of ladies and gentlemen on this forum that are willing to help if you need it.
    Spoula