Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Why....

Post Thanks / Like

Why....

Hi...can you help my figure out why my square filet motifs don't look quite like a square?

They are 25 by 25 squares...the sides are made of double crochet and the spaces are two chain space...they come out kinda rectangular instead....

My hubby told me to try and stretch it a bit and it did help a little...the only thing I can think of is that the design inside the motif is not symetric...like a round flower w/ every petal exactly the same...mine is a rose that looks great on graph paper but not so square once crocheted...

Any ideas? No I haven't played around w/ the pic thingy yet so I can't show what I am talking about...hope I explained it well enough..

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I am not experienced with filet crochet. It is one of the things on my list of to dos. Maybe when my kids are grown! LOL

I do know that with regular crochet, the tension of crocheting can make a difference. I am not sure if it is the same with filet? It could also be possible that the graphing or piece is off?

We will have other checking in and out, so you will probably hear from others who know more about filet crochet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope the graph isn't off....I wonder since a double crochet = 3 chain and my middle is two but then again that is one way to have a filet square.
    I will be paitent and wait.......lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm grasping at straws, but I think the dc and the ch 2 aren't the same size, so you're ending up with a rectangle! Whenever I start a new row of dc I ch 3, so I'm thinking a ch 3 would be the same size as a dc? Or is becoming a rectangle the other way- the width? I'm hoping somebody checks in that really knows the answer!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    it's odd because they seem off, slightly rectangular but when I stretch it they start to take shape like a square. Larissa thinks maybe my hook is too large....will try that...because yes the ch 3 is the same size as the dc and the inbetween ch can vary from 1 ch to 4 ch. What I've think is most common is the 2ch....so will keep ya all posted...thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't get a perfect square with 2 chain in between either. I started putting only 1 chain in between. You can read about it here:

Crochet Resources - Tips, Links, Tutorials, Questions and more

Click on the PDF for beginner filet. I hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok...I've taken Larissa's advice and I will try a different hook. So I look, and of course I have the size above and below the size the thread calls for...so, I decided NOT to use my coupon (because it doesn't take affect until Sunday) and bought a Yarnology hook today...never heard of them but that was all the store carried. Since my squares aren't quite squares, I've decided to make a table runner...but another delima...which way does a table runner...well run...does the design face the majority of the table (thus having half your guests look at it upsidedown) or does the design face longways were the head guest see's the design straight on while your other guest have to tilt their heads....lolWhich way would you attach a design?