Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question How many skeins of yarn do you buy?

I have a shop that sells wonderful, high quality yarn near my home. (Unfortunately its other supplies cater almost exclusively to knitters...grrr.....) Anyway, it always has a few bags of yarn kits with knitting patterns available at huge discounts. For instance, last week I purchased 3 hanks of Delicious Kollage for $5.00! Each skein is normally $9.00 at this store. Altogether I purchased 11 skeins of different yarns for only $25! Quite a bargain!

My question is this: if I have no particular pattern or project in mind, how many skeins of yarn would it be best to purchase in general. Will three be enough to complete many projects and therefore a good number to buy? Would it be better to buy four? I guess I am trying to optimize my value for the yarn. I would like to have an idea of what would be enough without having a whole lot of scraps.

When you find a yarn you particularly love, how many do your purchase?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am never a good judge of that! Mostly, if you are following a pattern they tell you how much they used...I just figure if I bought to little I will, make something smaller like a motif or socks....

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually buy 2 skeins of yarn when I find a good deal! But, I make little things, so I do use any leftover yarn! So I guess I don't know how many is a good amount! I know and averaged size afghan takes 4-6 skeins, a sweater takes about the same! Other people will have answers too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

For smaller projects, probably buying 2-3 skeins would be good. This has always been in the back of my mind. Although, nothing is more frustrating than deciding to do a particular project later, only to find that you do not have enough yarns - especially if it has been discontinued!

Post Thanks / Like
    Since most of what I design are wearables, I'll tend to purchase at least 1000 yards of any yarn at a time, just so I have 'enough' to finish a project.

I will take all my partial balls and use them to make a scrap afghan though and they all get donated to Project Linus.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

6. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    when I see solid yard I like I buy 10 skeins..if they have a dye lot number..I buy 7 skeins..if there is any extra yarn after I finish a project..I make babies blankets ..potholders..slippers..its never wasted..

8. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetgal View Post
    Since most of what I design are wearables, I'll tend to purchase at least 1000 yards of any yarn at a time, just so I have 'enough' to finish a project.

I will take all my partial balls and use them to make a scrap afghan though and they all get donated to Project Linus.
    Thanks for the great advice and the wonderful service you do through Project Linus. It's a VERY worthy cause!
    Chef

10. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your advice Val, Anaisa, Maryjane and Barbara G. I will feel a bit more confident in buying these impulsive skeins of yarn!
    Last edited by chefmomster2; 07-03-2012 at 05:05 PM.

12. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually buy what I can when I can preferably on sale or just what I need for a particular project. I have so many I want to do but on a meager disability income it holds me back a lot

Happy Stitching ~Melanie~
    MsStitchWitch on Crochetville
    MsStitchWitch73 on Ravelry

14. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Upper Peninsula of Michigan near Canadian border.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone who answered this thread. What an execellent question. I always wondered that myself. I have yarn all over my house from "working on my PhD. Love that expression. Great answers.
    Betzi