Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Project help - parallelogram instead of rectangle?!

I am a beginner and am working on crocheting a bag. The pattern is alternating a single crochet row with a half double crochet row. I'll fold the long rectangle into a bag once I'm done. After doing a number of rows, I noticed my rectangle was turning out to be a parallelogram instead. I can fix this by stretching, but it always goes back to the parallelogram shape. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why my project is doing this?

If you want pictures/the pattern, please let me know! I would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks so much for the help!

Beth

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

First is important to make sure that you are getting the right number of stitches. Also, make sure you are crocheting into your last stitch - especially when working with a square. Also your stitch tension can be creating a difference in your pattern. Tension which is not consistent will create an item which is misshaped.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually put a small safety pin in the last stitch of the row to keep track of the last stitch! Sounds like you may be ending up with more stitches! Every few rows I count the stitches as I go just to make sure I have the right number of stitches! That way you will find out early on that you've made a mistake! And watch your tension as well! Hope this helps!

4. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beth,

It sounds very much like you are dropping a stitch on the one end and increasing on the other. Its very common with people who are learning to crochet.

The first thing I would suggest that you do is that you count the stitches on the row. You should have the same number of stitches as you started with.

Then when you start and end the rows, be sure that you are placing the hook in the correct stitches. Many a time my students will put an extra stitch at the beginning of the row and miss the last stitch of the row.

Your last stitch of the row should be in the top of the turning chain.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices