Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Weaving ends plus

I made an afghan called stained glass" which consists of different size blocks in various colors, each surrounded by black...lots of yarn and color changes, and I wove in the ends. They're popping out all over the place. I made the 'ghan about 6 years ago.

Now I weave a little, then split the yarn into 2 strands, then separate the strands by pulling one strand through another stitch, then I tie one knot carefully to not pull, then another knot as tight as I can, then I cut as close to the knot as possible. Much of the time the knot is virtually undetectable. Best of all, no yarn pop-outs.

CAVEAT: Be absolutely sure you're not going to have to frog anything before you do one of those knots.
    Last edited by ooh-lalah; 07-01-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

2. Likes Maryjane, Val, libertylady64, audie458 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I normally just crochet over the tails of the yarn when I change colors. I never tie knots, I just crochet it in and have never had any come undone. If it is a very long tail I will take a needle and pull it back in the opposite directions being careful to loop it over top of one strand of the crochet yarn to hold it and keep it from pulling back out.

However I had seen my knots show through in the beginning when I first learned to crochet. I threw them out. I am sure others can knot better then I do .

Judi G

4. Likes Val liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    i not sure i understand what yoy mean by 'frog' before knotting. i really like the idea though

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah that is my biggest fear, my work comming unravelled! Tried knots and weave in...also I use fray stuff....

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make sure you're not going to have to rip it out before using one of those knots where you split the yarn into two strands.
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    right...I get what you are saying...

Post Thanks / Like
    okay thanks, i am going to try that....

Post Thanks / Like
    If nothing else works trying using fabric glue to hold the ends in place. I had a similar problem with a vest and no matter what I did ends kept appears. Gluing them down did the trick. The glue is supposed to be water proof, so I'm hoping the ends will stay down. I used Crafter's Pick but my guess is that any fabric glue will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    good idea, never thought of that, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    In crochet, what does "frog" mean? I have seen it mentioned several times, but I have no idea what it means.