Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

my round looks like a spider-web!

Dear All,

I am a self/internet taught crocheter and thus make mistakes that just confound me and this is one of them! When I am making a circular crochet-like beginning a hat, and increasing every row, my round turns into a hexagon/octagon etc. It's where I do the increase every row, they begin to look like a point. I would upload a pic, but I can't figure out how :-o. In all the patterns I've read, it says to increase in the same way-in other words, row 2, 2sc each st; row 3 sc, sc, 2sc; row 4 sc, sc, sc, 2sc; etc. And that seems to cause this problem.

What on earth am I doing wrong?

To solve it, I have been changing up the increase so say where I'm supposed to have a stitch in each stitch for 3 st, then 2sc in one stitch, I will do sc, 2sc, sc, sc; then the next row sc, sc, sc, 2sc, sc, and so on so the increase doesn't end up in the same place on the circle. Yet this isn't what the patterns ever say.

Thanks for any help/advice!

Regards,
    Andrea

2. Likes kl1000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Andrea, Look at your pattern again are you supposed to increase every row? Most patterns state even rows are increases and odd rows you just stitch around (or vice versus). If you can send the pattern link or post the first 4 rows of the pattern along with the notes we can help you. You also could be crocheting to tight or loose. That is what most beginners do. I have been crocheting for awhile and I make that mistake over and over. I start out tight then I get loose.
    Spoula

4. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I start out ok, and then usually get too tight! No, it calls for an increase each round. I did look around on the net and someone said to stagger the increases, which I have been doing. I bet it is how tight I end up being. Thank you so much for your help! I do appreciate it!!!! Andrea

6. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Andrea,
    You might need a smaller crochet hook to put through the stitches and you can finish the stitch with a bigger hook . Crocheting tight will make it harder on your hands. When pulling the yarn through the stitch I pull the yarn farther than I need to then I pull it back down for tension and pull the hook through the loops.

To post a picture go to bottom of page and click 'go advanced' or click 'reply' and then click 'go advanced' either way click 'go advanced'. Then click the paper clip on the top, add files, browse,select picture or pictures, click open and upload your picture. You can upload up to 5 pictures at a time. When done, click 'done' You won't see your pictures. Click on arrow by paper clip and a box will come up and you can click on each picture separately or all at once. If you want a space between the pictures then click Enter on your keyboard a couple of times.

Jean Marie

8. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Andrea, Don't get discouraged it takes time to learn how to keep tension, which I have never learned by the way.
    I was making a simple little hat for my grand-daughter that increased all rows until you reached a 6 inch circumference (flat) well that never happened. As I continued to increase as the pattern called for the flat circle I was supposed to get turned out a tight ball folding in. I re-read the pattern and it did say to increase every row. I just started over again and started out with a circle and continued to add a few increases here and there to get my 6 inch flat piece and went on from there. I will say that not all but some free patterns are not tested and there are mistakes so be on the look out for some of those. I am grateful for free patterns and respect those that share with us but we are all human and make mistakes. I have ripped out more yarn these past 2 years then I can count. I love crochet and all needle work and God has given me a lot of patience.
    Hang in there,
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie, Thank you so much for the information on posting pictures! One more way I can catch up on the new technology!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Sue View Post
    Jean Marie, Thank you so much for the information on posting pictures! One more way I can catch up on the new technology!
    Your Welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes I do the same thing, as long the total stitch count for the row is correct, I am assuming that it doesn't matter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the replies!!! I really appreciate it.