Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Need help/advice with crochet pattern

Hi there! New person here just learning crochet and could use some help. I知 following the pattern for a doll and some tighter stitches are proving challenging for me, I知 wondering if I知 doing things wrong?

I知 working with black yarn, 4x4 gauge US I-9 5.5mm. Recommended size hook is 9, I have an 8 and a 6 but have the same problem with either one. My pattern calls for me to single crochet 6 stitches into a magic ring, then 2 sc into each stitch for one row, then single crochet 12 for one row, then decrease 1 single crochet 6 times for one row and finally single crochet 6 stitches for 4 rows to form the arms of my doll. My stitches end up being so tight with nearly the recommended hook size, though, that I can barely see my stitches, let alone fit my hooks into them. I知 having to mark every single stitch with stitch markers to keep track of them. Having such a dark yarn doesn稚 help but my fingers are sore from trying to follow this pattern and I知 not sure I知 doing things right if my round is too tight to work with. I知 not sure how to fix this problem, can any of you offer suggestions for a fix?

2. Likes kl1000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi GardieVariety,
    As you know black yarn makes it hard to see the stitches. Relax and let the yarn slide through your fingers. After you make the loop for the magic circle then chain 1 to hold the loop or circle together. It might be easier for you to crochet 4 or 5 chains and slip stitch into the 1st beginning chain to make a circle. If you can't get the I hook through the stitch you might want to use a smaller hook so you can get it through the stitch so it's not so hard on your hands. You could also use a smaller hook to pull the yarn through the stitch and then use the I hook to finish the stitch. Whether you use a smaller hook and finish the stitch with a I hook or just use a smaller hook do whatever is easier for you to make it easier on your hands.

Crocheting in the round can be harder on your hands than crocheting in row.

Does the pattern say to slip stitch into 1st stitch and chain 1 before starting the next round?

You might want to get some thergonomic craft gloves to wear when crocheting for heat, support, massage. You probably can get these at a craft store or you can get them online. Just Google thergonomic gloves. There are also longer gloves that go on your fingers also that are therapeutic gloves. (Isotoner gloves - I have a pair of these). I also have the thergonomic gloves - hand - aids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello GardieVariety, Starting with a magic ring helps you to see the stitches you will add. Don't pull the ring completely closed until you can see your stitches and close the ring gently as you go. (This helps you in the beginning to not crochet to tight) You should be able to finish the single crochets of 6 stitches for 4 rows after you have closed the ring. Your stitches should show up better for you to see as you would not have crocheted them too tight keeping the ring opened.

Hope this helps,
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I said that crocheting in the round can be harder on your hands. I want to change that to When you're crocheting a small circle it can be hard on your hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought- are you only using the tip of your hook as you make your stitches? That would cause stitches to be tight. Be sure to slide your stitches far enough onto the hook to get them the proper size. I agree dark colors are tough to work with. Keep trying! imalefty

7. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning. I have a difficult reading some patterns but can look a diagrams and have no problem. Some patterns don't have diagrams, is there somewhere that I can type in the pattern to make a diagram?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I crochet filet items
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן