Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Question How to Keep a Chain From Twisting

Hi all!

My problem is attaching chains in projects. I just can't seem to keep them straight so that I can attach them properly. I have tried everything I can think of and still it's no use. I will think I have it right and then when I check...twisted! I can't tell you how much time I've spent on purse handles and other sorts of crochet where this really matters.

Do any of you have pointers? I welcome any ideas you can give!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I have only worked with small handles, not longer ones as of yet. I will be interested to hear of other's experiences!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I think I may have an idea if i can explain myself. Im working with an eight year old this summer trying to crochet. Not saying your the same, just I have had to rethink how to explain things. On your chain, you see the "V" from the front If you turn the chain to the "back" you see a (for lack of better word) hump put your hook in there to join on what ever stich you need. I found working on that side was easier for the kids to see. I now use that all the time. Besides it makes it easier to put a boarder on things, On the shopping bag Im working on you use both sides to make the bottom of the bag. I hope this helps I know how crazy one can get not getting started. I was on vacation with no computer and could not find an answer.
    Best stiches
    Billie

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks billiebob! That sounds like a good system. However, I guess I didn't explain myself well. As you wrote, it's hard to rethink how to say things on here.

I had a necklace pattern that I was using. Essentially you crochet a heart first and then create a chain of 138 stitches (Not the real number). This is then attached with a slipstitch to the beginning stitch of the chain and you stitch up and down that chain to create the loop of the necklace that goes around the neck. This chain must not have any twists in it or it will be VERY noticeable once the necklace is completed. I tried marking my chain to show front and back, I tried holding it absolutely flat with the "back" carefully laid right side up on the table top, I tried about a million other things, but no matter what I did, I could not get a smooth chain without twists. It was SOOOOOOO frustrating! I finally just made the chain and sewed it together with the heart once it was complete.

I am just hoping someone might have the answer.

I really appreciate the response, billiebob!
    Chef
    Last edited by chefmomster2; 07-02-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Punctuation Error

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any special hint on how to keep the chain from twisting! I run the chain through my fingers before I attach it to the other end and hope it's not twisted! I would be interested to see if somebody does have a "trick"!