Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Mobius

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Mobius

Hi, does anyone know how to crochet a mobius? It is like a shawl but made in a circle. The pattern states "twist beginning chain 360 degrees twice" I have tried to do this twice, but it is just a big crocheted knot when I finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I have not personally made a mobius, but here is a video which might be helpful for you:

Hopefully, it is as simple as this person makes it look.

Post Thanks / Like
    A mobius is fun to do but it takes a lot of learning to get it started. Start with "Crochet Pattern Central" and study all their mobius patterns. You may have to cheat and crochet a rectangle and then sew the two ends together with a twist to understand what a mobius is.

I found the best way to start one is to make a small one first, like a cowl. Chain the required number, then crochet back the chain. Now you have a flat piece that you can control to make one twist, (not two) and join the ends. Now crochet back along the previous crochet and you will find you will pass the join and continue on around. Just keep going until it is as long as you want.

4. Likes Judi Gums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been awhile since I made a mobius. As I recall I made it in the regular scarf fashion and when I joined the beginning row with the last row, made the twist before sewing the ends together.
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Barbara G. I will try this way. It is very different from the pattern I have. I bought it from Annie's Attic.

Post Thanks / Like
    A mobius is simply a one sided piece.

When I'm working in a mobius, I'll work a full row of sc across my starting chain. Now if I'm working in the round, I'll be very careful NOT to twist that chain before I join.

However if I'm wanting a mobius, I'll put a half twist in the chain and join to the bottom of the first stitch.

From then on I'll mark that spot and continue working in the round for the full length of the piece.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

8. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Mobius

Quote Originally Posted by ginny2228 View Post
    Hi, does anyone know how to crochet a mobius? It is like a shawl but made in a circle. The pattern states "twist beginning chain 360 degrees twice" I have tried to do this twice, but it is just a big crocheted knot when I finish.
    Make your chain, join your circle, then start your first round of patterns stitch. When you catch up to where you started Row 1, instead of joining to finish the round, turn your stitch down while leaving your starting stitch up

Left-handed
    |||||||||
    _------|||||||||||

Right-handed
    _--------||||||||||||
    |||||||||||

And continue your pattern stitch in the other side of the base chain. This will put that wonderful twist in your work. When you again catch up with the starting stitch go ahead and join your round. Now each round will put two rows on your work as you progress. This is the Easiest way I have found to make the mobius effect without a seam.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    GO TO; http://gardeners-ramblings.blogspot....owy-day-moebiu.. I FOUND FREE PATTERN AND THIS IS THE ADDRESS ON MY PRINT OUT....
    "GARDENERS RAMBLINGS IS THE SITE AND THE PROJECT IS Snowy Day Moebius Neckwarmer/Hood.....YES THAT IS HOW THEY SPELLED IT....GOOD LUCK IT IS NOT THAT HARD IF YOU DON'T OVER THINK IT.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone who tried so hard to help me make a twisted mobius. I just cannot seem to get it. I was trying to make them for the chemo patients that are chilly even in summer. I will keep trying.
    Ginny

Post Thanks / Like
    Ginny, rather than try to work the mobius twist as you go, why not simply work a rectangle in whatever pattern you are using.

then when you go to join the short ends, simply put a half twist in it before you join. You'll end up with the same effect but with none of the frustration.

An easy way to see how a mobius works is to take a simple strip of paper about 1" wide and about 12" long (it doesn't have to be exact). Hold one end in each hand give it a half twist and join the ends together. This is what it will look like.

Möbius strip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices