Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Cowls

Post Thanks / Like

Cowls

Hi, kids. Does anyone know what the function of a cowl is? Is it merely ornamental? I do not see that most of them, anyway, would keep your neck and chest warm in cool weather because your neck is actually very much exposed. I just wrap a scarf around my neck to keep the wind & low temps out. From what I can see, lots of women do wear them over garments that do protect the neck, but it doesn't change the nature of the cowl.

Also, a lot of cowls/infinity scarves/mobius scarves are just plain unattractive - a non-symmetrical jumble of yarn that would get in your way. Maybe it's just me, but I think clothing should be, you know,
    more or less ergonomic. What do you think? Thanx. I acknowledge that some versions of these garments are restrained & well designed, and I wouldn't hesitate to wear them. I like the look of the small, flat ones but there don't seem to be much in the way of patterns.

If you like cowls, wear them and make them with my blessing. I'm mostly looking for someone to agree with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I admit that many cowls are decorative, but there are others that would keep you very warm. I always thought a non-decorative cowl was for people that wanted to keep their neck warm but didn't want to deal with the long ends of a scarf. Some cowls are short and just fit over the neck, some are longer and can be wrapped once or twice around the neck, and some are wide and long enough to pull up over your head. The non-symmetrical scarves are just an edgy design look IMO, and are fine for those who like that sort of thing. I like the style but agree that they're more decorative too. My problem is that unless it's pretty chilly, scarves/cowls are too warm for me!

3. Likes MeToo! liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks for your comments. If only I could find crochet patterns for a useful, uncomplicated cowl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Metoo, I live in the South and the climate is normally too warn for scarfs or cowls. Not until I lived in Europe did I even have a scarf. My in-laws all got me some beautiful scarfs for gifts but I had no idea how to use them. My sister in law showed me a couple of versions on how to wrap them but I can't so what she did. They all wear cowls or scarfs with all their outfits even blue jeans they are quite fashionable. I crocheted a cowl for my oldest granddaughter in black and white herringbone pattern she loved it. She lives in Boston where it is really cold and she says it keeps her warm.

So I will agree with you I don't wear a cowl.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made quite a few for family & friends but I've never made one for myself. I don't even care for turtlenecks because I get overheated!!

7. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post