Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

What a difference a yarn makes!

Caron’s Simply Soft is a beautiful yarn for many projects. It was not working out well for the spider web design stitch I’m working on. This yarn tends to split a lot anyhow, and in my project it looked like a lot of snags had taken place. Decided to abandon the spider web using Simply Soft. Went to Hobby Lobby and got some “I Love This Yarn” sportweight. Red Heart sportweight is very similar. This yarn responds as if it had a life of its own…very springy and just glides through my fingers…and no splitting!
    As dedicated artisans we’ve all done more than a fair share of rippits, or projects that go in the “I’ll never finish this!” category :-D

Even though the sport weight is thinner, and requires more rows to create length, my sweater is going a lot smoother and faster.

What’s your take?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Choosing the right yarn can make a difference in a project. I am not always the best at finding the right kind of yarn for the project I am working on. I am however stepping out and learning to try new yarns even though they may be more expensive than the old standby.

3. Likes billiebob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Caron's simple soft is a bit thinner than some of the other 4ply yarn! It can sometimes be substitutes for the sport weight yarn! Just be sure to check the gauge! I know what you mean about it splitting! But I love the yarn and can over look that!

5. Likes billiebob, ginny2228 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love "I Love This Yarn"!! I don't use it often because of the price, but I love using it every time I do. It's so soft, feels good to the hand, doesn't split, and looks great!! Just wish I could afford more of it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    and they have a great choice of colors to choose from. i can spend all day in hobby lobby! lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhuie5445 View Post
    I love "I Love This Yarn"!! I don't use it often because of the price, but I love using it every time I do. It's so soft, feels good to the hand, doesn't split, and looks great!! Just wish I could afford more of it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hobby Lobby is way too pricy for me. The sport weight I was talking about is $2.29 and a skein is 230 yards. The lacy jacket/cover-up I have showing on Etsy required 2.5 skeins. Yes, I made it with the very petite in mind. My friend (who's getting it for her birthday in August) is 4'11 and weighs about 115. Really saves a lot of yarn when making for someone her size. :-D
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/OohLalahHandmade
    Last edited by ooh-lalah; 06-30-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added link

Post Thanks / Like
    Choosing the correct yarn for the pattern is a must IMO. There are so many beautiful yarns out there so why waste a great yarn on a pattern that doesn't work for it?

I carry a wide variety of yarns for all sorts of uses at http://crochetgal.etsy.com
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like Hobby Lobby's " I Love This Yarn". I signed up for their e-mails and print out the coupon for 40% off and get the coupons out of our newspaper and either go more than one time or bring a non-crocheting friend to use a second coupon. The price isn't bad then. If I want a finished project that has a sheen, a use the Simply Soft and fight the splitting and the frayed knots from their bad joinings or the extremely THICK spots that look like they forgot to finish spinning that section.I try not to want a "sheen"" very often...lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aunty, I'm getting to that pint with Simply Soft as well (not choosing it due to problems). The splitting, the thick and thin spots...but the colors are amazing! Plus you get so much bang for the buck. I can make a sweater with 2 skeins (medium size, short sleeves, lacy pattern).
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ooh-lalah View Post
    Aunty, I'm getting to that pint with Simply Soft as well (not choosing it due to problems). The splitting, the thick and thin spots...but the colors are amazing!.
    If you run into a problem with a yarn, why not contact the manufacturer and tell them about it? That's the only way that they will know that customers aren't satisfied.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

13. Likes nothingnowhere liked this post