Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

trouble with pattern.

I copied a pattern & am having trouble with rowa 3 & 4.Its called Pink Sweet Pea Hat.I got it from http://dearcailin.blogspot.com/2011/...t-pea-hat.html The directions in rows 3 & 4 have no stars for the repeats &I,m not sure the directions are right. Row 3 says ch2 hdc in next st,2_hdc in next 2 stitches,2 hdc in next st. sounds like the same thing to me.4 row looks like theres 3 hdc in a row.Someone ask ed about these 2 rows in the comments after the patterns & it wasn,t answered.I,m confused.

2. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I have personally not done any hats yet, but here is what I am getting below. Also, other members have done hats who will be checking in - so please be patient!

Row 3 - Repeat the following until you are back to your very first stitch which can be marked with a safety pin
    chain 2, half double crochet in next stitch, 2 half double crochets in the next 2 stitches, 2 half double crochet in the next stitch

Row 4 - Repeat the following until you are back to your very first stitch which can be marked with a safety pin
    chain 2, half double crochet in the next 2 stitches, 2 half double crochet in the next stitch, half double crochet, half double crochet, half double crochet, 2 half double crochet in the same stitch

Thank you! Be patient - others who are experienced with hats will help us out! :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lady bug, Wow I have made hats, and I looked at this pattern and Wow is it written poorly. Usually in the first rounds you are increasing gradually each round, and they will give you stitch counts at the end of each round to help you know where you are. I believe what they are trying to tell you to do in round 3 is ch2 (counts as a hdc) 2hdc in nxt stitch 1 hdc in each of the nxt 2 hdc's, then 2 hdc in nxt hdc then 1 hdc in nxt 2 hdc. so it should look like ch2 2hdc 1hdc 1hdc 2hdc 1hdc 1hdc etc all the way around. Round 4 is ch2 2hdc 1hdc 1hdc 1hdc 2hdc 1hdc 1hdc 1hdc. Hope you see the pattern as you increase each round. Round 5 is not better, I can see that the pattern wants you to make shells basically all around. You will really need to be able to add in what the author left out. I would try to find a pattern that is written a little more clearly. Hope this helps!

5. Likes Barbara G., Maryjane, MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grandmajenny,

Hello - thank you for your response. I also thought the pattern should have been increasing. This is not really my area of expertise! I really appreciate your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you Barbara G. & Grandmajenny- I think I will go to another pattern.I have gobs of new ones to try.The internet is wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like
    good luck! there are a lot of patterns on the internet, I always do a read through of the pattern to see if I can make sense of it and how if will work. A lot of times the patterns will have comments online attached to them of other users who have tried them and they will tell you how difficult they are to follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hav tons of patterns I thot I could do But when you get 5 or 6 rows they don't do like mthey are supposed to so I undo & start again. If it doesn't work I make a comment at top of pattern & put it in my notebook for later . To try again. then sometimes I put it on here & it works out. This one didn,t of course. I'll look later this winter when I'm stuck inside & bored. ha! ha!Sometimes the comments do help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ladybug! I've tried a lot of patterns only to find it doesn't look right or I can't figure out how to do it! Most of the time I end up frogging it and going on to something else! I agree with everybody else-the pattern isn't written well!

11. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How true Maryjane.I just go on to something else.Maybe check into it at a later date. If it still doesn't work I,m just going to lose it permanently!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ladybug,

I have made several hats, you are in the increase rows. I like to write out the patterns on a scrap paper so I can keep my increases on track.

You need to inc (which is the 2 hdc in same stitch) first with 2 stitch between inc around. Next row you add one stitch more between the inc until you make the number or inc rows the pattern calls for.

I often re-write the pattern so they are easier to understand at a glance for me. Then I check off each row and it helps me to keep my place. I love making hats, and it is confusing in the beginning, but stick with it and you will have such a cute hate.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
    I copied a pattern & am having trouble with rowa 3 & 4.Its called Pink Sweet Pea Hat.I got it from http://dearcailin.blogspot.com/2011/...t-pea-hat.html The directions in rows 3 & 4 have no stars for the repeats &I,m not sure the directions are right. Row 3 says ch2 hdc in next st,2_hdc in next 2 stitches,2 hdc in next st. sounds like the same thing to me.4 row looks like theres 3 hdc in a row.Someone ask ed about these 2 rows in the comments after the patterns & it wasn,t answered.I,m confused.