Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tips for beginners

Found something that should be helpful for our beginners! Go to lionbrand.com and click on blog! I even learned something from it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I need a "tip":
    O.K., Here's the thing: I try to follow all the instructions, but my piece that should be rectangular starts to look like a parallelogram; or the edges are "wonky" and wave in and out. I sometimes get a different stitch count from what I should have and can't find where I went wrong. How do I get a straight edge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsynr View Post
    I need a "tip":
    O.K., Here's the thing: I try to follow all the instructions, but my piece that should be rectangular starts to look like a parallelogram; or the edges are "wonky" and wave in and out. I sometimes get a different stitch count from what I should have and can't find where I went wrong. How do I get a straight edge?
    For me this comes with much practice. First, it could be that your tension in changing while you are working on the project. Second, if your stitch count is varying as well - this could change the shape of your piece. Many members will use a safety pin to place on the final stitch, so they know where they will be stopping at the end of a row, for example.

I am not sure what pattern you are working on, but maybe this will help you...

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a safety pin on the last stitch! It works every time! You may want to count your stitches every few rows to make sure you haven't gained or lost any stitches!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    For me this comes with much practice. First, it could be that your tension in changing while you are working on the project. Second, if your stitch count is varying as well - this could change the shape of your piece. Many members will use a safety pin to place on the final stitch, so they know where they will be stopping at the end of a row, for example.

I am not sure what pattern you are working on, but maybe this will help you...
    I am mking an antimacassar, using the STAR STITCH; but this is an ongoing problem with any project that has a pattern other than straight stitches, regardless of whether it is sc, dc, tr, shell, popcorn, or anything else. The ends of the rows go in and out. I count stitches and there seems to be the correct number; but I still have to frog and re-crochet often. Grrr!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello again,

I am not sure if this will help you, but this link has a tutorial video on the star stitch. Maybe, if you take a look at it - you might gain some insights. Hopefully, you will get the issue figured out.

There are also more members who will be checking in which are more knowledgable on this stitch than I am...

Post Thanks / Like
    Please don't give up! One of these days it will click and you will see where your make mistakes! At least it's easy to frog crocheted stuff! Feel free to keep posting your problems! We can at least give you moral support!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    Hello again,

I am not sure if this will help you, but this link has a tutorial video on the star stitch. Maybe, if you take a look at it - you might gain some insights. Hopefully, you will get the issue figured out.

There are also more members who will be checking in which are more knowledgable on this stitch than I am...
    Could you tell me what the link is please. I don't see it in the post.