Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Post Thanks / Like

Question Attic24 Neat Ripple Pattern Questions

Hi.I am trying to make this pattern from Attic24 Neat Ripple Pattern Website as a blanket for a bed but the pattern has only a 31 chains and that’s not enough for a long big blanket.The pattern has :A Multiple of 14(2x14 plus 3 for turning chains).I was wondering how many chains to crochet for a blanket for a single twin bed 39 inch ?What multiple of 14 number should i use?(What do you guys think i should do?

Also,Where does she get the 2 from that goes with multiple of 14?

Post Thanks / Like
    14 plus 14 is 28 plus 3 =31 chains.
    Make a chain of 14 and measure your stitches and see how may chains equal an inch for you. Then take that number you get per inch and chain the amount for you to get your 39 inches.

3. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula.Thanks for the help.so you take the number you get per inch and multiple by something to get 39 inches?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetknitfan View Post
    Hi Spoula.Thanks for the help.so you take the number you get per inch and multiple by something to get 39 inches?
    Yes, you would multiply the number of stitches times 14 the multiple in the pattern. Your post says you want 39 inches width (not length) So chain 14, 3 times this gives you 42 3 more stitches then the 39 you wanted not counting the plus 3. Or you can chain 14 over and over until you get the width you want plus the 3 at the end. You continue across the width back and forth until you get the length you want.

Below is a video to calculate multiples that might help you.

Last edited by spoula; 01-13-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi spoula. thanks for the amazing help.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good idea to chain 14 but I would measure how long the 14 chains are and then take that number x ? = 39 inches or close to that. You might want to make it a few more inches than 39. You can decide how long you want the blanket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    That's a good idea to chain 14 but I would measure how long the 14 chains are and then take that number x ? = 39 inches or close to that. You might want to make it a few more inches than 39. You can decide how long you want the blanket.
    Hi Jean Marie, That would work for us that are experienced but she posted awhile back that she is a beginner. 39 inches is not an even number the multiples have to be even numbers for this pattern.

Since everyone crochets tight or loose I said chain 14 several times to see how many stitches are in an inch that is the number she would have to multiple by. The instructions she posted were 14x2 plus 3=31 stitches. (the multiple is 28, (14x2)) In order for her to get the ripple \/ that is 14 stitches down and 14 stitches up. So she would have to get the number of stitches she crocheted per inch then measure her twin bed to see how wide she needs then based on the number of stitches in 1 inch multiple that by whatever the bed measures.

She will have to be careful with her measurements and make both ends match or she will not have a complete ripple design across her width. She will need to calculate the 28 stitches for the ripple to see where those designs fall on the blanket.

The ripple blanket is a very easy blanket to make if you are following the pattern you have but when you want to make changes either to make it bigger or smaller you must do the math.

Hope this makes sense,
    Spoula

9. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just made two ripple afghans for Christmas gifts, and speaking from my own experience, when working with a ripple pattern, add at least 1 or 2 additional peaks to your desired finished size. Since the peaks are not in a flat, straight line when finished, like they are in a simple chain, you lose some of the desired width from your original chain length by the time you have done the foundation row, and in my opinion, wider is always better than too narrow in a blanket or afghan. (Remember that once there is a body under the afghan, it will cover less surface making it seem narrower! A mistake I made in one of my gifts.) My easiest recommendation would be to chain multiples of 14 to the approximate desired width, add at least 28 more chains to be sure your item will be wide enough, then add the 3 extra chains to that length. At this point I record the number of chains that I started with so that if I want to use that pattern again, I can use that chain count for reference. When it is finished, I count the number of rows and measure the length and width and put it with the pattern so that I have all of that info available for the next time. I hope that this makes sense and good luck with your project.

11. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Sue View Post
    I just made two ripple afghans for Christmas gifts, and speaking from my own experience, when working with a ripple pattern, add at least 1 or 2 additional peaks to your desired finished size. Since the peaks are not in a flat, straight line when finished, like they are in a simple chain, you lose some of the desired width from your original chain length by the time you have done the foundation row, and in my opinion, wider is always better than too narrow in a blanket or afghan. (Remember that once there is a body under the afghan, it will cover less surface making it seem narrower! A mistake I made in one of my gifts.) My easiest recommendation would be to chain multiples of 14 to the approximate desired width, add at least 28 more chains to be sure your item will be wide enough, then add the 3 extra chains to that length. At this point I record the number of chains that I started with so that if I want to use that pattern again, I can use that chain count for reference. When it is finished, I count the number of rows and measure the length and width and put it with the pattern so that I have all of that info available for the next time. I hope that this makes sense and good luck with your project.
    Hi Sweetsue, I agree with you. I have made many ripple baby blankets different ripple stitches from 12 to 14 stitches. I tried to explain the same thing you said about chaining 14 until she would get the desired width she wants.
    I like your answer as well.
    Spoula