Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Rugs - advice please

Can you crochet a sturdy non-slip rug or would it always seem more like a blanket on the floor? (This is the feedback I'm getting from a non-crocheter when I say I want to crochet our new rug). Also, any tips on colour schemes to brighten up a sitting room with light grey fabric sofas and white walls, without overwhelming this small room?

From the little bit I've found online I think I'd like to use a 10mm hook and 6ish strands of dk. I'm not sure whether to use acrylic or something else or a mixture of yarn types e.g. wool and acrylic. I really like this rug:

Crochet Round Rug – Look At What I Made

but a rectangle would work better in our sitting room so I'm thinking of doing C2C diagonal stripes instead of the circle. Any experience or ideas welcome 😁

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to suggest a light aqua/white/gray combination! Gray is really a neutral, so if you want to keep with light colors, just about any pastel would work (I'm not a fan of yellow with gray). Acrylic is usually considered a workhorse, but having a little wool too isn't a bad idea - just depends how soft you want the rug to be. You can always pick up a package of the non-slip backing for the rug, if you're afraid of slipping. The only thing I wouldn't do is work with many strands of a lesser weight yarn, because I've found more strands = more difficult. Two strands is my limit! But that's just me. And I don't agree with a crocheted rug looking like you threw a blanket on the floor - your example certainly doesn't look like a blanket.

3. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Nova, you've given me hope! Thanks for the advice on the no of strands; I can get heavier weight yarn and make it easier all round.

And yes it would be a good idea to tie the colour scheme with what is already in the room. I'm clueless with these things but very excited to get stuck in. I dream if making some cushions too so I might end up making them in the brighter colour or colours of the rug.

As a sidenote: I've just realised my English dialect has some different spellings to most of you on this site. I hope you don't find it off-putting when you read my posts.
    Last edited by melearningtocrochet; 01-11-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: I called my rug a blanket!

5. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I find that using 2 strands of 4 ply worsted weight really makes a heavyweight rug. I made a cover for cedar chest and it so heavy, it's lasted 3 years though 5 cats so far! My rug is n my kitchen, and has lasted 3 years also. Good luck. You can try more strands, but I agree that the more strand, the harder it is. Plus, it just makes the rug higher off the floor. HAve fun with it, and definitely use the non-slip under it.

Judy

7. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi melearningtocrochet, You may also want to consider dying white t shirts to the color you like, cutting them to strips and crocheting with them.