Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Another Newbie!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Another Newbie!

Hi everyone! I'm new here, just popping by to introduce myself.

My grandmother was an avid crocheter and did beautiful work. Sadly, she passed away when I was only 6 so she never had an opportunity to pass the craft on to me. My sister, who was several years older than I, had the good fortune of being taught by our grandmother. I did eventually learn to crochet from a retired school teacher who taught me the basics. She told me, now that you know this much, you can build on it and do just about anything you want to do with it. I set it aside for a lot of years, but have rekindled the spark and in recent years have made several afghans, neck scarves, and prayer shawls.

Even though my grandmother wasn't the one who actually taught me to crochet, every time I pick up my hook, I feel her spirit and her love. We lost my sister, the one my grandmother taught to crochet, earlier this year so now I crochet in her memory, too.

Wishing everyone a blessed new year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the crochet forums! My condolences on your loss. By crocheting in their memory, you are giving them honor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi crochetsquare,
    Welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello crochetsquare, Welcome to the forum. It is sad you lost your grandmother at such a young age. It is good that your sister had the good fortune to be taught by your grandmother and passed on the love of crochet to you. I had a very good friend that I took to meet my mother and my mother taught her to crochet as well as me. I was very close to this friend and had not seen her in a long time. When my son was born she came to my house and gave me a gift and you can guess it was a beautiful blanket that she learned to make from my mother. I lost my mother to cancer but she was able to pass on this joy to me and my dear friend. I am happy to see that more young people are also trying to learn to crochet.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Crochetsquare, I'm sorry for your losses. It's lovely you have such a beautiful way to remember them.

Spoula, your story is very touching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by melearningtocrochet View Post
    Welcome Crochetsquare, I'm sorry for your losses. It's lovely you have such a beautiful way to remember them.

Spoula, your story is very touching.
    Hello Melearningtocrochet, Thank you for your thoughts.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I crochet filet items
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן