Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The slip stitch

Post Thanks / Like

The slip stitch

I am crocheting another hot chocolate mug. After 4 rounds you have 24 sts. At the the end of each round from rnd 5 - 12 you're supposed to slip stitch. My question is why. What does it matter if you slip stitch at the end of each rnd. or not? What's the difference? The other mugs I made I did the slip stitch. So far on this mug I'm doing I did 8 rnds. so that's rnd 5,6.7 and 8 that I didn't slip stitch after each rnd and so far I don't see any difference except that it seems that it might be stiffer. Does anybody know what the difference is whether you put a slip stitch in at the end of each rnd or not? The part I'm making is the mug.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you, I rarely slip stitch each round. The more rounds, the less likely I am to do it. I change patterns here & there all of the time though. Go with your gut, girl!

Post Thanks / Like
    For the hot chocolate mug rnd. 1-4 does not have a slip stitch rnds. 5-12 does have a slip stitch at the end of each rnd.
    I found a crocheted chocolate chip cookie that does have a slip st and other ones that don't. With a sl st at the end of the rnd. it's harder to see your first stitch of the next rnd. So, does a slip stitch at the end of a rnd. make it not as stiff?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    I am crocheting another hot chocolate mug. After 4 rounds you have 24 sts. At the the end of each round from rnd 5 - 12 you're supposed to slip stitch. My question is why. What does it matter if you slip stitch at the end of each rnd. or not? What's the difference? The other mugs I made I did the slip stitch. So far on this mug I'm doing I did 8 rnds. so that's rnd 5,6.7 and 8 that I didn't slip stitch after each rnd and so far I don't see any difference except that it seems that it might be stiffer. Does anybody know what the difference is whether you put a slip stitch in at the end of each rnd or not? The part I'm making is the mug.

Jean Marie
    Interesting question Jean Marie,

A slip stitch is more a technique than an actual stitch. The slip stitch is used to join in rounds without adding any height to your item. Some patterns state to slip stitch to your first stitch in the round to make the circle tight and neater. If you don't see any difference why waist yarn and time.
    You learn something new everyday.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    A person can continue to crochet every round without putting a slip stitch at the end of each round which is called a spiral or they can crochet each rnd and at the end of each rnd they can put a slip stitch before crocheting the next rnd. Some patterns call for a slip stitch at the end of certain rnds. Why?

https://squirrelpicnic.com/2013/12/1...ochet-pattern/ on this pattern - on the bottom you join at the end of each rnd and on the top you don't join at the end of each rnd. Does anyone know why?

this pattern says not to join except at end of the last rnd for the mug but for the cocoa it doesn't say to slip stitch at end of last rnd
    I'm Frayed Knot | Hot Cocoa Mug Ornament
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 01-02-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found this challenging too!
    I think the difference is just a choice, some like to END a round by doing a slip stitch.
    Sounds like you are like me and like to just continue on, as long as you know where your round ends (place marker) I think either way looks fine on the end project.....at least in my experience.

-Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    A slip stitch at the end of a round is probably the designer's preference on the pattern.