Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Yarns fiber melt questions

Hi.I was wondering if a person could use acrylic yarn or polyester mixed fiber yarn to make potholders or oven mitts?anybody use them without worrying about melting or had them not melt?I thought that a person can make anything with yarns?what do you guys think ?also do they melt in a hot car?what are you guys opinions on the matter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Crochetknitfan,

My opinion would be to not use it near any heat source.
    It would have to get really hot in a car to catch the yarn on fire unless it is sitting under a magnifying glass.

Google reply:
    You can, but you shouldn't as acryllics will melt under heat. Not only that, but if it comes into contact with an operating burner, oven coil, or open flame it can catch fire, and removing it from the source will not put it out. Plus if it melts onto your skin it can cause horrible burns.
    Smooth wools and cottons are preferable for this use. Natural fibers will smoulder but will go out when removed from the heating source and they do not melt. Felted wool squares make great potholders.
    Spoula

3. Likes ramblyambly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula.Would it be better using yarns blends with percent wool and arcylic?Because they are always around stores?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the answer to your questions was in the first post I replied to I have highlighted it again for you. For potholders I would stay away from acrylics.

Google reply:
    You can, but you shouldn't as acrylics will melt under heat. Not only that, but if it comes into contact with an operating burner, oven coil, or open flame it can catch fire, and removing it from the source will not put it out. Plus if it melts onto your skin it can cause horrible burns.
    Smooth wools and cottons are preferable for this use. Natural fibers will smoulder but will go out when removed from the heating source and they do not melt. Felted wool squares make great potholders.
    Spoula