Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Help with cardigan pattern

Hi, I'm quite new to crochet and I've been stumped by the first step in this pattern:

ch 19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 29, 32, hdc in 2nd ch from hook, and across (18, 19, 21, 23, 25, 28, 31 total sts)

I just don't know what the list of numbers mean, what do you do after you've made a chain of 19?
    Last edited by annahlbrecht; 12-22-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Solved!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello annahbrecht, A group of numbers denotes the number of chains you will make depending on the size you need. Example chain 19 for a small size or chain 32 for extra large size. It would help if you state what you are making such as clothing or blankets etc.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Sorry, I did put cardigan in the title of the thread but I'll make it clearer next time

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi annahlbrecht,
    Like Spoula said if you chain 19 you will get 18 hdc's because you are starting your first hdc in 2nd chain from hook. If you chain 20 you will get 19 hdc's across row. 22 chains you would get 21 hdc's across row and so forth. You sure it's not a sc in 2nd chain from hook?

Welcome to CrohetTalk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I think that's why the numbers in parentheses are one less than the Ch numbers - is that what you mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Duh!, Sorry I missed that completely. I was reading the body of the post.

Please excuse my mistake.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by annahlbrecht View Post
    Hi, I think that's why the numbers in parentheses are one less than the Ch numbers - is that what you mean?
    Hi Anna,
    Yes that's what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    I read the title of the post too and then after opening and reading the post I wondered too what she was crocheting so it's not just you and then I either read the post or I read the title again and I saw what she was crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    Thanks for you reply (I guess I am in good company) I truly did not notice the title that was my mistake. I hope I didn't sound harsh asking for what was being made. I read you post and went back to the original post and tried to figure out how you got hdc when I didn't see any pattern. I think I missed something else.

I know how much I appreciate the help when I get stuck so I wanted to be helpful if I can. I need to see the pattern or a little more of the instructions to make sure I am giving the correct answer. One time I was helping a lady and she sent me her pattern and I had to make a good bit of it to see where she was off but it turned out ok and she finished it and it was lovely.

As you know I have been crocheting baby dresses these last 2 years and a good number of the patterns I have used have mistakes in them. So before I tell someone that maybe wrong I like to know what they are trying to do.
    On the other hand you are awesome and pick up right away. You are always helpful.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Not harsh at all, thanks for your help! I've read the pattern thoroughly and it does say this:

-this is how sizes are formated: XS, S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL

But I don't think I could have figured out that that was connected to the list of numbers without help! As I said I'm very new I mentioned in the comments on the pattern that I was confused so maybe she'll edit it to help other beginners like me!