Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Help with knots

Post Thanks / Like

Help with knots

I am trying to make a pattern that you have to change yarns frequently. How do you join and knot the yarn together? The way I am doing it isn't looking right with the pattern. I am pulling the new color up with the yarn over. help please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Here are two very useful helps which a lot of the members have found useful:

http://crochettalk.com/links-resourc...out-knots.html

http://crochettalk.com/main/876-tech...hout-knot.html

3. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I completly agree Barbara. Thats how I learned to do it. Those videos can teach you how to do everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try the braided join method, or the russian join or even the magic knot. I'll have to check out the videos. May learn something new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not all of us can view videos. Unfortunately, I only have dial - up (am trying to find DSL) as I live in a part of Tennessee that still thinks it's the 19th Century. Anyway, I join yarn without a knot all the time.

When you're down to the loop where you want to add the new color, catch the new yarn with the hook/needle and pull it through the loop on the hook/needle.

Now's the tricky part.

Gently pull the mc yarn to tighten the stitch. Now pull the new color yarn to tighten the new loop. You want the new color loop to be the same size as all the previous loops on the hook/needle. What you have is finished stitch with the main color and a loop with the new color.

It's take a bit of practice to get your finger to cooperate, but it's worth it. Once the new color yarn loop is the size of all the other loops just crochet/knit as usual.

My Aunt tried to teach me this trick years ago and I finally got it!!!!

Hope this helps.

P.S. Make sure you leave at least 6 inches of the new color at the start. You'll just weave it in with all the other cut ends when you're finished.

7. Likes billiebob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, thats how I was taught I think its easer then the other ways. You just lay the tail on the top and crochet on top of it. No later going back and tring to hide it. Im so ready for the next project I want to be done. LOL Do I have an attention problem YES
    Good stiches
    Billie

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some excellent written instructions for joining without having a knot in your work.

Crochet 911 |

I too cannot see videos!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

10. Likes Helster liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    These tips have all helped but now I have another problem. I am joining these new colors in the middle of a row to make a butterfly. The tails stand out when weaved in and make the pattern look sloppy. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can work over the joined yarn for a few stitches and then weave the ends in firmly.

Or you can try using the 'Russian join' method instead.

How To Do a Russian Join Instructional Article at Jimmy Beans Wool
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Does this work for granny squares as well?