Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn weight questions

Hi.Hi was wondering if a person could use a different yarn weight than the pattern recommends for the pattern?if so how do you get gauge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a great resource I have shared in the past:

https://www.crochetspot.com/types-of...ks-and-gauges/

Post Thanks / Like
    I use whatever yarn I have.

4. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some patterns will state that any yarn/hook size could be used, but some patterns (where size is imperative, like a garment) you'd better be an expert crocheter to substitute the yarn. If size is important, usually the designer will give specifics on making a gauge swatch. If you choose a yarn that's a little thinner, you'll likely have to go up a size or two with your hook to achieve the same gauge the designer is calling for (but you'll end up with a lacier look). If you choose a thicker yarn, you'll probably go with a smaller hook. If you're making something that's flat, you can just go with the yarn and hook you want, but you'll probably end up extending and/or adding rows to stay with the same size if you use a thinner yarn, opposite if you're using a thicker yarn. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the chart. I have been using a larger hook after I talked to a lady who was using a large hook. My projects are scarfs and afghans and the gauge not matter like a garment.

7. Thanks Barbara G. thanked for this post