Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Crocheting a border.

Does anyone know of a book on crocheted borders that includes making a border on an item with reflex angles? I suspect that these instructional books assume that we only need to add borders to circular or square or rectangular projects , i.e., those having 90-degree angles. I can't spend $20.00 to find out for sure.

The item I am referring to is a runner that is V-shaped at each end. Where you stop increasing (or decreasing) and the "V" ends and you begin to crochet even, that is where the reflex angles are. This is the shape of my project.

Crocheting a border.

Or do we just fool around til we get it right? Which is fine if the border is really simple, of course, but what if I decide I want something more dressy?

So, if anyone has a book with this info, I'd appreciate the title and that is what I'll buy. I really do need explicit instructions such as would be in a publication dedicated to this one thing.

Thanking you in advance, I remain,
    your most faithful compatriot,
    MeToo

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not aware of a book that would go into details like that for you, the books I've looked at seem to just give you the border pattern and not how to work it around a corner.

I do borders often but just a 90 degree corner, and I use the same way you would in a granny square to make my corner (which is adding 3 additional stitches) you may find it easy to just fool around with it if it is just a simple border.

For something fancy, you may need to be on the look out for a pattern of a full project that has a border with a corner the shape you want. Rather than just the pattern of the border.

-Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post
    Does anyone know of a book on crocheted borders that includes making a border on an item with reflex angles? I suspect that these instructional books assume that we only need to add borders to circular or square or rectangular projects , i.e., those having 90-degree angles. I can't spend $20.00 to find out for sure.

The item I am referring to is a runner that is V-shaped at each end. Where you stop increasing (or decreasing) and the "V" ends and you begin to crochet even, that is where the reflex angles are. This is the shape of my project.

Crocheting a border.

Or do we just fool around til we get it right? Which is fine if the border is really simple, of course, but what if I decide I want something more dressy?

So, if anyone has a book with this info, I'd appreciate the title and that is what I'll buy. I really do need explicit instructions such as would be in a publication dedicated to this one thing.

Thanking you in advance, I remain,
    your most faithful compatriot,
    MeToo
    Hi MeToo I have several crochet borders patterns that I will send to you by email. I think you might find some tips in these. I could not put them here as they exceeded the size this site lets you upload.
    Your pal
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo, Have you checked some of these websites...

https://www.thespruce.com/free-croch...atterns-978644
    Living on the Edge with 10 Free Crochet Edging Patterns! - moogly
    https://feltmagnet.com/textiles-sewi...-Patterns-Free

Try adding an extra stitch to the point with the tassel and delete one, maybe two stitches on the other angles so your border lies flat. A right angle (90 degree angle) has three stitch as a rule. I add or subtract from that.
    Good luck!
    Dafy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dafydil View Post
    Hi MeToo, Have you checked some of these websites...

https://www.thespruce.com/free-croch...atterns-978644
    Living on the Edge with 10 Free Crochet Edging Patterns! - moogly
    https://feltmagnet.com/textiles-sewi...-Patterns-Free

Try adding an extra stitch to the point with the tassel and delete one, maybe two stitches on the other angles so your border lies flat. A right angle (90 degree angle) has three stitch as a rule. I add or subtract from that.
    Good luck!
    Dafy
    Many thanks for those links, Dafy, as well as your knowledge of how these things work.

That is not the runner I am working on. That was just an indicator of the shape of the one I am crocheting in its entirety. I am trying to show the angle where you stop increasing and start to work even.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would seem to me that only the peak or point would need extra stitches, to act as a hinge, to turn in a new direction. The sharper the corner the more stitches required.The remainder of the row should remain the same.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisAnn View Post
    It would seem to me that only the peak or point would need extra stitches, to act as a hinge, to turn in a new direction. The sharper the corner the more stitches required.The remainder of the row should remain the same.
    When it comes time to make the border, I know to increase stitches at the sharp turns. I was wondering about the other turns. Doesn't matter - I will find out when I get there. Guess I should quit doing a jig. But right now, I can't picture how it'll go. A man probably could, I guess, with no problem. Their minds work better in that way.

Many thanks, DorisAnn. Whether anyone wants to see it or not, when the runner is finally done, I'll post a photo of it here! Never made a runner or much else in the past 25 years, just relearning now!