Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Something I found out

When starting to crochet with a new skein or a new piece of yarn they say to attach the new piece of yarn at the beginning of row but I didn't think it mattered if you attached the new yarn in the center or somewhere in the row instead of at the beginning if it's the same color. And it probably doesn't matter too much but if you're adding new yarn in the row then you're having to weave in ends in the row- and when you weave in ends it stretches or pulls the stitches and doesn't look the same. You can always move it over so it does look the same but it might not stay there.

2. Thanks karenlatlas thanked for this post
    Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    I have always started a new color or new piece of yarn at the beginning of the row. It helps me to know when I have reached the end of a row. Also if you do join in the same place each time you only have that one place to weave in the ends. The only other time I might join in another place is if I run out of yarn and have not finished the row or the pattern specifies where to join new yarn.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    If I have a little bit of yarn left on a skein but not enough to go across the row it's probably better to start with another skein (even if it's the same color) because otherwise I'll not only have to weave in ends on the row but when I weave in and pull the yarn through it will pull or stretch the stitches so it has a space between the stitches and it won't look like the other stitches because of the space between the stitches unless I move them with my fingers so that they look like the other stitches. Did I make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

What I do is . . .

When weaving the ends, in the middle of the row or at the end, I weave it a few stitches one way, then double back. It does not show and when you stretch the item, the end won't pop out.

6. Likes MeToo!, andreala liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it totally depends on your stitch! if it's a tight stitch work then I go for the middle because it's easy to hide the weaved in ends. If it's more of a open or loose project I work it at the end of the row, but I seem to have more issues with my weaving popping out when I do it at the end of the row.

Susan

Post Thanks / Like

follow up

If you weave one direction, then the other way it locks the end in place, you can stretch it and it won't pop out. Of course, if you have a loose stitch it will be harder to weave the end in, no matter what method you use, but for everyday stuff, it works great. I have been crocheting for more than 45 years and when I learned this it was wonderful. When you weave the end in in only one direction, it will always pop out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Suewin View Post
    I think it totally depends on your stitch! if it's a tight stitch work then I go for the middle because it's easy to hide the weaved in ends. If it's more of a open or loose project I work it at the end of the row, but I seem to have more issues with my weaving popping out when I do it at the end of the row.

Susan
    Hi Sue,
    I'm using the ehdc stitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you start a new skein of yarn at the end of a row, do you weave in the piece of yarn on the end of the row or do you crochet over it? I also had found out before that if you weave in the yarn on the straight edge or side of your piece then it's harder to see the stitches to crochet a border.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mother taught me to lay the end of the yarn on the top of the row and to crochet over it. I can't see the yarn between the stitches when I do it this way. There are newer techniques of doing things now. Some say tie your ends together when joining new yarn some say to cut it and crochet over it. I do what looks good to me.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I was taught to tie in on the end of the row on the last stitch then when I started New color it didn't show so much then once turned the stitch I crocheted them and that also helped with having not as many ends to tie in. Sue