Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Gardening

Post Thanks / Like

Gardening

Anyone here an enthusiastic gardener, especially of vegetables - and flowers, too, of course? It has been cool and damp, so I could not put seed or plants in, but now it is really hot, dry and sunny, so that's what I've been up to.

Sure would like to hear from anyone else, in any part of the world, who loves to see things grow.

I start most flowers from seed, but this year I bought 2 packages of ready-to-plant flowers - Nemesia and Stocks. Nice and smelly, both of them.

From seed, I'm growing the usual vegetables (including leeks) and for flowers, Tashkent Marigold, Irish Poet Flower, Sweet Peas, vines, poppies, and of course there's the endless volunteers, mainly calendula. It is like a weed.

So, I put aside for a bit the hippy vest I was crocheting, but when I get sick of weeding, why, I'll have to complete it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    How is the weather in Canada that is where you live right? I live in South Carolina and it is hot. I live in a residence so we can't have a vegetable garden. However we do have many flowers,trees and shrubs. We also have a multitude of rabbits, ducks, deer, squirrels, birds sometimes snakes, lizards and bugs. I don't think a vegetable garden would last around here. Between the weather and the critters it is hard to keep a nice garden.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    We have planted a garden again at a friends house this year - with tomatoes, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, and zuchinni.

4. Likes MeToo! liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How is the weather in Canada that is where you live right? I live in South Carolina and it is hot.

It is hot here, too and too dry for my taste. Upper 80s-low 90s is hot in my books. However, we can expect a nice thunderstorm as well as the usual tornado warnings soon, to cool things, off.

I am surprised to hear you say that because of both heat + critters you could not garden. Yes, I understand the critter problem - I have endless varmints in my garden - but heat? Plants love heat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    We have planted a garden again at a friends house this year - with tomatoes, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, and zuchinni.
    Do you start everything from seed in your house or do you buy them already-born from a nursery? If you are growing okra, might you be from the southern part of the States? I've grown a variety of okra once that does fine here.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you say plants love heat tell my plants and flowers that. They are laying down in the afternoon the leaves are wilted. It was only 95 today with 60% humidity. I was in the pool some and the shade the other time. Trying to finish my bikini top for the other granddaughter. Almost done can't wait to start something else.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I garden a lot too. I live in Illinois and it's so hot here. I have to water every day. We are praying for rain. We live in an area surrounded on three sides by forest preserves. You want to talk about wild animals in your yard? We sure have them. Rabbits and deer are the biggest problem. The deer have decided that they just love my Swiss chard. They come for lunch every day. But I grow a big garden anyway.

9. Likes MeToo! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    I garden a lot too. I live in Illinois and it's so hot here. I have to water every day. We are praying for rain. We live in an area surrounded on three sides by forest preserves. You want to talk about wild animals in your yard? We sure have them. Rabbits and deer are the biggest problem. The deer have decided that they just love my Swiss chard. They come for lunch every day. But I grow a big garden anyway.

Hi Cricket,
    We had a good rain last night e really needed it to cool off some and we had ducks in our front yard today eating grass.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    It was dry & hot as hel here, too, for some time. But now it is cool and rainy for a few days and I think it will soon arrive over there. I'm west of both of you and weather seems to move from west to east.

I see, Spoula, you are already getting some rain! So glad for you. I'm actually placing large, transparent, 5-gallon plastic jugs with the bottoms removed over my beans, because beans don't like coolness, that is for sure. We have wild geese & ducks on our land, near the house, pretty regularly, as we have 2 dugouts.

Any photos, anyone? I have one to post here, taken this morning. I just have to wait for someone in my household to do this for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MeToo!;198501]
    I think it will soon arrive over there. I'm west of both of you and weather seems to move from west to east. You are correct the weather pattern follows West to East then from South to North from what I see on the news. I am not a weather man or woman just see the pattern.

I see, Spoula, you are already getting some rain! So glad for you. We really need it and my flowers liked it today they were not wilting.
    Any photos, anyone? I have one to post here, taken this morning. I just have to wait for someone in my household to do this for me. MeeToo if you go to the main category on this forum Barbara G. has posted threads called Sticky: Posting pictures. They are helpful post to help you navigate on the forum. Also if you have a specific question you can send a private message to Barbara G she has been very helpful for me. I look forward to your posted pictures.
    Spoula