Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Furls Hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Furls Hooks.

As if their $79 hooks aren't enough, they have now introduced limited edition "Summer" hooks for $99-$115.00 depending on which wood you choose.

Anyone here have a Furls? I sure would like a whole bunch of them, but this is getting a little silly. What on earth is a "summer" hook? What - the rest of them are winter hooks? LOL.

https://furlscrochet.com/collections...-crochet-hooks

Well, I guess I'll go for the bargain-basement Birch hook. Only $99.00. Bottom-of-the-line. And birch is a local, North American tree. Good environmentalist view, right?

Sheeeesh.

OH, WAIT...they also have a hook made of snakewood, as follows. $149.00. That's US $.

https://furlscrochet.com/search?type...ct&q=snakewood

That is beautiful.
    Last edited by MeToo!; 05-20-2017 at 01:21 AM. Reason: added info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'll use my old fashioned ones the hooks will cost more than the yarn. Good luck with them. Sue

3. Likes MeToo! liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the beauty of all wood crafts. However I can't justify spending that much on a crochet hook. I love my Susan Bates metal hooks with bamboo handles. They are much cheaper than Furls hooks are so I can afford the yarn to crochet with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my Susan Bates metal hooks with bamboo handles.

I've never heard of a SB metal hook with bamboo handles. Does this style of hook have a name? I have a Susan Bates Quicksilver. It is nice and pointy, not like the supposedly old & improved rounded head.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a normal Susan Bates hook with a bamboo handle. It's supposed to be ergonomic. It looks similar to the hooks that are custom made with polymer clay handles. Not as pretty as some of the polymer clay handles but along the same line. I bought these at Joann's several years ago after I had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand (my dominant hand). They helped me enough to continue crocheting. I have seen them at Joann's a few weeks ago. They run $2.50-$4.00.

7. Likes MeToo! liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Too expensive

Furls Hooks.-received_10213140122194373-jpg
    I have just finished making 2 genuine snakewood and acrylic hooks for my partner, a 10mm and an 8mm. All for a small fraction of what a furls hook would cost. She says that she has never had a hook more comfortable or smoother before.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Dutchbryson. Those snakewood + acrylic hooks are quite beautiful. What particular skills, knowledge and machinery are required to make these? What is acrylic - is this a lump of something you buy, then carve into shape or what. How do you figure out just how to carve the business end, i.e., to get it to exact size?

Your partner - how does she hold her hook when crocheting? Knife or pencil? I have heard that (in some people's opinion, anyway) the Furl hook is somewhat more suited for those using the knife hold. So, even if I got rich and bought a whole set, I'd be foiled again. It seems that 90% of all the hooks out there cater to the knife-holder crowd, with that flat area in the middle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post
    @Dutchbryson. Those snakewood + acrylic hooks are quite beautiful. What particular skills, knowledge and machinery are required to make these? What is acrylic - is this a lump of something you buy, then carve into shape or what. How do you figure out just how to carve the business end, i.e., to get it to exact size?

Your partner - how does she hold her hook when crocheting? Knife or pencil? I have heard that (in some people's opinion, anyway) the Furl hook is somewhat more suited for those using the knife hold. So, even if I got rich and bought a whole set, I'd be foiled again. It seems that 90% of all the hooks out there cater to the knife-holder crowd, with that flat area in the middle.
    Hi there,
    My partner holds her hook like a knife but my hooks do not feature a flat area. All the hooks I have made are initially turned on a wood lathe and the heads are finished by hand. I have made dozens and dozens of hooks in the last few years so have become quite skilled at this and I use digital measuring equipment to maintain accuracy. The acrylic is usually in the form of 19mm bars by 150mm long and is a very hard form of plastic that is ideal for turning on a wood lathe. I turn the real wood and acrylic and then marry them together and form the head. I have also made hooks using only exotic woods like ebony, pink ivory, olive wood etc etc.. I have thought about doing this as a business but probably could not break into the Furls market even though I would be a lot cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post

A very unscientific survey was once done by a crochet blogger, and the overwhelming response was the knife hold. But the hook that's perfect (IMO) for the pencil hold is the Addi Swing. They're not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as the Furls.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Nova55. Re the Addi Swing, I found your information most interesting. I am mildly fixated on hooks, wanting to eventually have one of every kind out there (that'll take awhile, given my not-wealthy situation). I am definitely going to look up more info on the Addi Swing.

I have a few Addi bamboos, which I like very much (they are perfectly cylindrical as well as having a pointy tip, deep notch, and more or less inline shape), as well as one 1.75mm Addi steel with a gold tip, and it is the nicest hook. I can't imagine anything better in the way of steel hooks, I really can't. Are you familiar with it? I just stuck a Susan Bates "cushion" on it and away I went.

Many thanks.