Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

How to check gauge

I am about to start this pattern and want to check my gauge but am not sure how to do my swatch. Can anyone walk me through that?

http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW4967.pdf

Thanks, Nancy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! I will try to help. I would crochet 11 sts and work the first 8 rows. Then measure your sts and see how near the gauge they are. Too small use larger hook. Too large use smaller hook. Mine never come out exact so I go with what is the closest. Don't hesitate to go up or down in hook size as we all crochet a bit differently. Have fun-imalefty

Post Thanks / Like
    The pattern calls for:
    Four 3-dc groups = 4”(10 cm); 8 rows = 4” (10 cm) in poncho body pattern.
    12 sts = 4" (10 cm); 8 rows = 4” (10 cm) in half double crochet (hdc).
    My question is how do the "poncho body pattern" swatch? Work the entire first few rows after I do the cowl and see how it measures, or is there another way to get the gauge right before I actually start working the body?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe try using 11 sts starting from the beginning as if you were making a mini poncho. That should give you an idea of your st sizes. imalefty

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent! Thank you. And now for my next question - I chained 31 with a 5.5mm hook for the cowl as per instruction and it measured 9"! The neck is supposed to have a circumference of 24"! This can't be right! My chains are not tight! What to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Think the 9" is the height of the cowl not the circumference. You are working up and down not around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my goodness! How dumb of me! Now that makes sense. Thank you for the answers to both my questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    You aren't dumb,you are just gaining experience. Glad you are able to get started. imalefty