Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Help with pattern instructions

Hello again,
    I posted this yesterday on the introduction site. I was looking for some replies on the new post site this morning and realized there is another site "Main" to post questions. I copied my original post again hoping someone with more crochet experience than me can help me. I haven't learned how to navigate this site yet so I hope I am not bothering anyone with duplicate post.

I am in the process of making a baby sweater with instructions that I am not sure of. The pattern is simple double crochets and single crochets.
    The pattern list 3 sizes. 0-3 months, 6-12 months and 24 months. I am making the 6-12 months one. My question is this on Row:2-5 (6,7,8). I assume that the numbers (6,7,8) are for the next sizes. The next row is row 67,8,9). I completed rows 2-5 and continued one more row to include the 6, for the next size. These rows make up the yolk of the sweater that should be 3 1/2 inches long. By doing the additional rows it is too big. If I don't do the additional rows it is too small. What do these instructions mean?
    I have had no training and just looked at some diagrams to start crocheting. I just learned to knit by watching you tube so you can say I am not that talented. Any help would be appreciated. The pattern is Red Heart Butterfly Days baby Cardigan.
    Thanks,
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not crocheted sweaters before - but here is a link so other members can take a look at the pattern:

Butterfly Days Baby Cardigan | Red Heart

Have you thought about using a different crochet hook size so it will come out to the size you would like? Did you create a test guage for the pattern? Here is the suggested guage:

GAUGE: 12 sts = 4" (10 cm) in pattern; 12 rows = 4" (10 cm). CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.

Also, welcome to the crochet forums! Don't give up on getting an answer to your question!

Post Thanks / Like
    Did row 6 have 32 sts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I started with 28 and continued completing rows 2-5 and 6, 7 that was in the quotes for the size I was doing. I pulled the yarn out to start over and I don't remember if I had 32 stitches. I think I had 28 and the yolk was already at 3 1/2 inches and I still had rows to go before it would be completed. I just started again but have only completed row 2. Had to stop so when I get back to it I will let you know how many stitches I have.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes patterns need to be tweaked. You may need to lessen the number of row repeats.