Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Hello all,

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,

I just joined today but have been a guest on this site for several years.
    I am in the process of making a baby sweater with instructions that I am not sure of. The pattern is simple double crochets and single crochets.
    The pattern list 3 sizes. 0-3 months, 6-12 months and 24 months. I am making the 6-12 months one. My question is this on Row:2-5 (6,7,8). I assume that the numbers (6,7,8) are for the next sizes. The next row is row 67,8,9). I completed rows 2-5 and continued one more row to include the 6, for the next size. These rows make up the yolk of the sweater that should be 3 1/2 inches long. By doing the additional rows it is too big. If I don't do the additional rows it is too small. What do these instructions mean?
    I have had no training and just looked at some diagrams to start crocheting. I just learned to knit by watching you tube so you can say I am not that talented. Any help would be appreciated. The pattern is Red Heart Butterfly Days baby Cardigan.
    Thanks,
    Spoula

2. Likes AudreyL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have not crocheted sweaters before - but here is a link so other members can take a look at the pattern:

Butterfly Days Baby Cardigan | Red Heart

Have you thought about using a different crochet hook size so it will come out to the size you would like? Did you create a test guage for the pattern? Here is the suggested guage:

GAUGE: 12 sts = 4" (10 cm) in pattern; 12 rows = 4" (10 cm). CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.

Also, welcome to the crochet forums! Don't give up on getting an answer to your question!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes change your hook size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for replying to my question.
    To answer your questions, yes I changed hook size and I made a swatch. My question is starting in the second row 2-5 (6,7,8) if I was crocheting the 0-3 month size I would crochet row 2-5. My question is that I am crocheting the next size up so am I to crochet row2-5 plus 6 and 7? If so this makes the yolk to big. I have tried to crochet this without the addition and with the additions and neither one looks right to me. Also if you look at the pattern row 6 has the same additions.
    Any help would be appreciated and again thanks for your quick response.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    sorry not sure but I would just do it by the measurements then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Susan,
    Thank you for your response.
    I agree with you, I think I shall just use the measurements.

Post Thanks / Like
    good luck !

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    Welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jean Marie

Thank you Jean for your welcome.
    I mentioned in my introduction that I have been a guest for many years on this site and have enjoyed the conversations and the friendly people.
    I have followed you on your responses and your projects. I have been a big fan of yours for a long time. When I posted my question on a crochet sweater for my grand child I was hoping you would respond as you have so much experience. The ladies that did respond were very helpful too. My mother use to crochet and as a child I watched her. She was very good. She used a steel size 10 hook and made mostly dollies. When she showed me a few stitches I was hooked. Sadly she is no longer here where I could ask her advise. Now that I have a new grand daughter I wanted to try to make something other than baby blankets. However I did make several baby blankets and they turned out OK. I took Susan's advise and will try to crochet the sweater by measurements but I really would like to understand what that pattern instruction means. Am I supposed to complete rows 2-5 then (6,7) for the next size. Just wondering as I have no formal training and mostly wing it.
    Thanks again for your welcome. I look forward to seeing more of your projects and responses,
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    Thank you for thinking so much of me. I'm not so sure about the answer on your pattern but you're probably right. It's probably the size in parenthesis. Doesn't the pattern say what it means?

Jean Marie