Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

has anyone used these yarns?

I can't believe all the new types of yarns out there now! I saw "eyelash" yarn and now I see lace that is used like yarn. Has anyone tried these yet or am I the only dinosaur that hasn't? I like trying new and different yarns but don't know how they would work up.

Post Thanks / Like
    The yarns I mostly use is 4 ply but I do have some other yarns though. I might have used a eyelash yarn or something similar to it a long time ago and I didn't care much for it but it probably depends what you're making and it seems to me that I thought that the yarn wasn't too good for crocheting but it was better for knitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jean Marie for replying. I probably won't waste my money on the eyelash yarn. It seems they keep coming up with new yarn/ideas but not all of them pan out. I seem to use 4 ply mostly now also, but every once in a while I try something new.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few different shades of eyelash yarn, some I bought thinking I would use in a project that never got past the "when I have time to play with this strange kind of yarn" stage. Others I received in online swaps. Still haven't thought of a really good use for it. I do have a pattern calling for eyelash yarn to be used in making the fur part of a stuffed puppy. It is a knitted pattern I have not tried yet.
    ~~De'Andrea~~

Post Thanks / Like
    PhoenixNakia, JoAnns has interesting yarn. Someday when I don't have anything to do, I might buy some just to see what it looks like crocheted. I wonder...
    what part of Texas are you from? I am originally from El Paso but haven't been back in over 35 years. It has really changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used eyelash yarns but combined it with a strand of worsted and used it as trim for hats and scarves only (crocheted).

Roe

7. Likes PhoenixNakia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Karo View Post
    PhoenixNakia, JoAnns has interesting yarn. Someday when I don't have anything to do, I might buy some just to see what it looks like crocheted. I wonder...
    what part of Texas are you from? I am originally from El Paso but haven't been back in over 35 years. It has really changed.

There is no longer a JoAnn's in my area. It closed more that 15 yrs ago & I miss it dearly. I do shop at the local Hobby Lobby & Michael's & online too.

I live on the edge of West Texas about 65 miles north of Abilene just outside of Haskell. Abilene is 400 miles east of El Paso on IH20 which turns into IH10 headed to California. My brother lived in El Paso way back in the late 1960s. My Mom & I when I was still a teen went to stay with him & his wife for the summer while she was expecting her 3rd child & needed help with the other 2. We lasted 1 month & came back here where it was not quite so hot! It was a big city then & now it is huge, it has grown so much.

You made a big change in countryside when you moved up there to Couer D' Alene! I have been through there once when my hubby drove a truck over the road, it is beautiful up that way. I love it up in high country, always wanted to live somewhere close to the Grand Tetons.
    ~~De'Andrea~~

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Karo,
    I don't know if you'd like eyelash yarn or not. I can't tell you one way or the other if you'd like it but you might like the parfait yarn or a furry soft yarn. It's up to you. Do you want yarn where you can see the stitches when you're crocheting? Something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eyelash yarn was really big about a decade ago or so for scarves. The trick was that you needed to hold 2 strands together to get the proper thickness, which you would still need to do. Most recently I've seen it used for trimming - on hats, the edging of vests, around collars, on little girls' skirts, etc., and I have seen it used for stuffed animal fur (makes a great lion's mane!). As for the lace, I haven't seen that, unless you're talking about the "scarf" ruffle yarns (Sashay, Starbella, etc). That type of yarn came in like a firecracker but seemed to burn out just as fast - just saw Sashay for 99 cents online.
    Anyway, you're smart to ask, because I have been fooled. The yarn looks great on the skein, but crocheted it looks/acts odd, and then I'm left to figure out what I can do with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used eyelash type yarn for the head and paws of a grocery bag holder that was a dog with the "dress" holding the bags. It turned out nice but was difficult to crochet, you had to kind of guess where to put your stitches. I don't think it would be appropriate for toys for little ones, but perhaps for an older child where no concern of chewing and choking

12. Thanks Irishjl thanked for this post