Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Have You Used Alpaca Yarn?

Hey y'all, are any of you familiar with using Alpaca yarn? I've never used it and I'm wondering if it's itchy? Does it have little fuzzy hairs in it? Or is it smooth and soft?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Plymouth Yarns Baby Alpaca Grande in a scarf, and found it itchy. Pure alpaca also has a stretchy habit that is sometimes referred to as "growing". However, if you can afford it, Blue Sky Alpaca is soft and very luxurious, but expensive. It is really nice for an edging though, and used as an edging, it won't stretch, since weight drape is what makes it do that.

That being said, one of my favorite alpaca wool blends is Berocco Ultra Alpaca. It is a 50% wool 50% alpaca blend that is stable, lovely and comfortable against the skin.

If it's soft, very warm and absolutely luxurious that you're looking for, I recommend Malabrigo superwash merino. I have made a few things with it, and it's the softest, warmest yarn I have ever found at a reasonably affordable price. And the way they dye is just stunning. Here's a link:

Malabrigo - Yarns

I hope this helps, happy crocheting.
    Last edited by Megcsti; 02-11-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Megcsti View Post
    I have used Plymouth Yarns Baby Alpaca Grande in a scarf, and found it itchy. Pure alpaca also has a stretchy habit that is sometimes referred to as "growing". However, if you can afford it, Blue Sky Alpaca is soft and very luxurious, but expensive. It is really nice for an edging though, and used as an edging, it won't stretch, since weight drape is what makes it do that.

That being said, one of my favorite alpaca wool blends is Berocco Ultra Alpaca. It is a 50% wool 50% alpaca blend that is stable, lovely and comfortable against the skin.

If it's soft, very warm and absolutely luxurious that you're looking for, I recommend Malabrigo superwash merino. I have made a few things with it, and it's the softest, warmest yarn I have ever found at a reasonably affordable price. And the way they dye is just stunning. Here's a link:

Malabrigo - Yarns

I hope this helps, happy crocheting.
    Thank you so much for all the information! I've been asking around online about alpaca yarn and I hadn't heard about it "growing." I guess that means stretching??

I've heard from several people that it's "hairy" which I know I won't like. It's really too bad because I know so many people love the softness of it.

Maybe I'll check out some cashmere yarn instead?

Thanks again,

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, cashmere is expensive. Blue Sky Alpacas isn't hairy at all, their alpaca is just beautifully spun (I have a little I purchased years ago). Malabrigo does a stunning merino/silk blend that is soft and shimmery. I took a quick picture of a little butterfly I made from some leftover silk merino I have in my stash. That bit of fuzzieness is just cat hair, this yarn isn't fuzzy. It's about a size 2 fine yarn though. Anyway, I hope you post photos of the project you're planning when it's done. It sounds really special!

Have You Used Alpaca Yarn?-100_0491-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you again, your butterfly is exquisite!

Shelley

6. Likes Megcsti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. Really, the credit goes to thee yarn, I just love it. But, here's the pattern if you want to make your own, I really like this one:

(She says size 20, but this works in any size yarn) Crochet Swallow-Tailed Butterflies, Free Pattern

PS, if you use regular yarn, you won't need or want stiffner
    Last edited by Megcsti; 02-12-2016 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add