Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Better Hooks For Threads?

I just did a search on Google for thread crochet hooks from Europe. I found a reference that said old time gooks were made from ivory bone or wood. Can better hooks be bought in Europe, and if yes, could Larisa or anyone else post a link for a seller? All I can find in the USA is the steel hooks that don't seem to hold the threads very well. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. I can tell about my hook story. At first. I use thin hooks for thin thread. My first good hook was 'Tulip' without grip (handle). But this year I was gifted with 2 hooks of Clover with soft touch grip. These are so convenient and hand is not tired from them. Another good hooks are from the same "Tulip" brand. It is "Tulip Etimo" with elastomer handle. The other hook (which I think is better than "Tulip Etimo") is "Clover Amoure" with good grip too. I can note "Hamanaka" hooks. I do not have any of them. And I think "Addi Swing" is the King of hooks. I do not have any of them yet. I know there are "Pony", "Knit Pro", "Addi","Prym" brands I have read about them. Chinese fakes can be good too. I have one Pony hook with plastic handle. It is not good. BTW I have Boye hooks without grip and they are worse. My hand is tired from it. I hope I did not forget any brands. You can see that the head constructions are different.
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday, I went to Jo Ann's and looked at the Clover brand and Susan Bates brand and priced them. Both looked like good hooks. Then today, I went to Hobby Lobby to compare their Yarnology brand. I came home with a beautiful 1.5 mm "Luxury Ergonomic" hook. I tried it on my size 20 doily in progress, and I am thrilled with it! The new hook has a really fine tip, it catches the thread very well and makes my stitches much neater and easier to have consistent. The ergonimic part is too far back on the shaft to make any difference with how I hold my hook, but it does make it a lot easier to see when I'm not using it. The metal part feels like aluminum, it is much lighter than the steel hooks, so I will have to find a case for it when I take my work with me away from home. Overall, I am very pleased with the Yarnology thread hook.

Thank you so much, Larissa, for guiding me to find a better thread hook. My next project will be a size 10 thread on this hook. I will post about my experience with that combination when the time comes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. Thank you for the message. I looked at Ergonomic Yarnology hooks in the Internet. It is something mnew for me LOL. I have used the thin hook without the grip for ages. I had spasm from taking thin hook and hand was so tired. The sharp handle hurt my hand. And the sharp head damages the skin on my finger and it was wounded on it so often. The ergonomic handle helps a lot. Happy crocheting! == Larisa
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Larisa, I hope the Clover hooks are not hurting you the way your old ones did! Clover seems to be the best hooks there are, at least over here. The soft grip on the Clover handle is much larger and looks like better quality than the Yarnology. Hobby Lobby is a huge chain craft store in the USA, and they have been coming out with their own lines of yarns, threads and hooks. They do a pretty good job too.

I tried my new 1.5 mm hook on some size 10 tonight to see how that would go. It went very well too. I just did a few quick stitches to see if I could, and I was very surprised. One reason I wanted to use a 1.5 mm hook is because I want to do some dress patterns for Barbie size dolls. Annies Attic has some really nice crochet doll dress patterns, but the guage is going to really matter for those. So when I get this size 20 doily done, I'm going to do something, maybe a butterfly, in size 10 with the new hook.

Thank you so much for explaining it was the hook was the problem. My future projects are going to benefit a lot from your advice. Happy crocheting, I am excited to see pictures of your new bedspread when it is done!
    Last edited by Megcsti; 02-09-2016 at 09:37 PM. Reason: sp

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello! It is Wednesday here. I wait for the Addi Swing hook with wonderful grip. I need all hooks because I have UFOs. Will you post the photo of the new doily? I sent three doilies yesterday. Have a good dAY
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried one of the Addi Swing hooks, and I found it didn't do a thing for my carpal tunnel. I hold my hooks like a steak knife, and I think they might work better for someone that holds their hook like a pencil.

8. Likes Megcsti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Sorry. I hold hook like a pen. Can you change your manner of holding the hook?
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure if I had the patience I could teach myself, and depending on how bad this carpal tunnel gets I may have to learn, whether I want to or not! But for right now I'll stick with the knife hold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear I wish you good health
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

12. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post