Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Introducing myself in CrochetTalk

Hi to all in this forum. I am a retired Psychotherapist and Marriage and Family Therapist. I was in private practice for 25+ years in San Antonio, Tx. I now live with my husband of almost 35 years (Sept. 30th), Jim, just a few miles north of S.A. in Fair Oaks Ranch, Tx. We have a blended family of 6 children, 14 grandchildren, and in March will have 11 great-grandchildren. All but 3 of these live within 25 miles of us, so there's always some family event taking place year 'round! Family get-togethers are huge!

I am self-taught in crocheting and knitting, but haven't had a lot of time until lately to get more serious about it. Due to four back surgeries since 2003, I have had to give up golfing, so now my favorite hobby is crocheting lapghans to donate to nursing homes in our area. Last year I made 25 of them. They are most useful to people confined to wheelchairs, where a regular size afghan would be way too large and bulky.

I also like to make all size doilies with crochet thread, although it's a challenge to find people to give them to, as doilies aren't popular in the modern world. I've used all I can in our home already. I'd like to make sweaters for children and adults, but they're too complicated for my skill level, and I don't have anyone nearby who could help me. I'm hoping that I might get some assistance (if I decide to give it a try again) on this forum.

2. Likes AudreyL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. It is nice to meet you. I crochet doilies mostly filet itesm. Will we see photos of your works?
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps in the future. The one you have pictured on your post is truly beautiful, but much more advanced than I am. Thank you for your welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. Do you have a cat? I have 6 birds... Really the filet crocheting is easy.
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any pets at the current time. We had to put down our 17 1/2 yr. old dog, 'Baby,' in 2006 and just haven't been able to clear our hearts to get another since then. I once had 5 cats and a dachshund, who thought he was a cat, since we got him at 8 weeks old, and he was the 'newcomer' in the family of the 5 cats, who were already in the household. They raised him. When one of the cats had a litter of five kittens, Willie used to 'kitten sit' for her when she wanted a break. She wouldn't let any of the other 4 cats near them, just the dachshund.

We will consider adopting a rescue dog some time after my husband has his back surgery. He's going to have a complete lumbar fusion with instrumentation, just like I had in 2013. There will be a few months recovery.

Happy Crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Larisa, Since I've never done the filet crocheting, do you know of an easy pattern I should start with? Of course, it would have to be in English. I love the one you're showing here, but it doesn't look like a particularly easy one. I really like the floral pattern of it. I'd like to start with one that is circular and about 8" in diameter.

You list you are from Easter Europe, but your English seems to be native to you, so I'm supposing you're in England. If you'd rather not say, I understand. I have a very dear friend here who is from England. After WWII, she married a GI at age 19 and is now in her 70s. She has been here since marriage, but she goes back to England to see a brother every couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome! Nice to have you here on site with us!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like your name. And thank you for the welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Barb Fuller, Im from Minnesota, advanced beginner?? in crochet. I Donate most all my small project. Wheelchair Blankets, carry Bags are great welcomes to invalid's. You seem quite busy with Family and hooks & needles Wow Talented. Im sure sweaters are a item some can help with (not me-sadly to say). Hope you like it here in CT Group.

Susan2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Most crochet item I do are listed as Easy to Intermediate. I haven't had much time lately to make anything, but I hope to correct that soon, as I want to make matching long scarves for my youngest daughter and her daughter (my grand-daughter). If you still live in Minnesota, I hope you aren't too inconvenienced by the recent snows. We're in light clothing here in Texas, some even in shorts today.