Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Post Thanks / Like

Kitty Pillows for my team at the animal shelter

I wanted to say a big thank you to my volunteer team at our local animal shelter. We help to care for cats and kittens in need of a "fur-ever" home. So when I found the pattern for these pillows, I just knew it would be the perfect gift. The blocks are crocheted, joined together and then joined to a solid back piece. Also on the back I attached a tiny crocheted mouse which you can't see in the picture. Based on the way they are smiling, I think my team loved their gifts.
    Attached Images Attached Images Kitty Pillows for my team at the animal shelter-arf-volunteer-pillows-jpg 

2. Thanks Laurie M. Alex thanked for this post
    Likes karenlatlas, Carynjoyb, AudreyL liked this post

I have lived here in Kenly, NC for quite a few years....but my heart will always be in GA.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely! I'm a cat lover!

Lynn Lux
    heartblesser1962

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. Very Nice Work Swade

Post Thanks / Like
    I love, Love, LOVE the pattern! You do really nice work.

Char

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Char. After Christmas I actually sat down and made two for me, imagine that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Swade,

Usually I can figure out a simple pattern myself but if you have a pattern I'd love to have a copy. It looks like single crochet throughout. Is it 6 or 12 rows for the body? My eyes aren't what they used to be but if my count is right it looks like 20 sc across. What about the face and ears? I so want to make this! Thanks!

Char

Post Thanks / Like

Kitty Pillows Pattern

Quote Originally Posted by CHARCREATES View Post
    Hey Swade,

Usually I can figure out a simple pattern myself but if you have a pattern I'd love to have a copy. It looks like single crochet throughout. Is it 6 or 12 rows for the body? My eyes aren't what they used to be but if my count is right it looks like 20 sc across. What about the face and ears? I so want to make this! Thanks!

Char
    Hi Char,

The pattern is pretty simple. I found the pattern on the Red Heart site. The pattern is called "Kittens and Puppies for Sale Pillows." The pattern doesn't call for whiskers, but I added them because a kitten has to have whiskers! The puppy pillows are adorable too. I would have sent the pdf file, but it exceeds the size allowable. You shouldn't have any trouble downloading the pattern at the site. Good luck.

Sue

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it! Thanks, Sue. Yes, kitties must have whiskers. What I like to use for whiskers is heavy button thread. It's thicker and more stiff so the whiskers stick out, are more visible and don't droop.

Also, I don't know if you quilt or not - sometimes we crafty people find our talents are useful in other areas - but here's another idea for your shelter. When I go to quilt shows I always visit the booths that demonstrate the big quilting machines. They are loaded with plain muslin for the tops and backings with batting in between. People try out the machines, squiggles, lines, writing their names, whatever. At the end of the show these "useless quilts" are thrown out in the trash. I ask the people manning the booths to save them for me. I rescue them, take them home, cut them to 2X the size of my vet's cages, fold them in half, sew it together leaving a space to turn them, enclosing the raw edges. Then I practice my free form quilting on them. When I'm done I give them to my vet for cage liners. I also use them for my cat carriers. They wash beautifully and don't scrunch up in the cage like towels usually do.

Having lost my Susie a couple months ago, I'm now down to 3 cats but all my furkids have been rescues. Thanks for your work at the shelter.

Char

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. We have many folks who volunteer to make cage liners for our residents. Some are made of fleece, some are crocheted or knitted and then we also use donated towels, all of which can be washed repeatedly. Sorry to hear you lost Susie, I know how heartbreaking that is! I only have one little guy sharing my home right now. His name is Cosmo and he is an alumni of our shelter.

Sue