Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Double crochet

Post Thanks / Like

Double crochet

Hello,
    So I was just reading the post of "Crochet Mistakes" One of the contributors said that when they double crochet, the correct technique is to go through both the front and back loops. I thought I was only supposed to go through either the front loop or the back loop, not both I am now confused. I went back and searched on YouTube and one person double crocheted only through the front loop (as I have been doing) and one person went through both! Help!
    Nancy

2. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always crochet through both loops unless directed otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most everyone goes thru both loops BUT? as long as you do say go thru front only al the way its no problem. What your doing is making a different look to your work? My opinion. Good Luck. Susan2014

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...double+crochet
    Last edited by Susan2014; 01-04-2016 at 04:44 PM.

5. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post
    Likes Megcsti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot depends on what you are making and the pattern. If I am making an afghan I go through both if the pattern doesn't say different. Some patterns will be weeken if you only work in one of the stitches. Something that are used a lot it is best in both St. Some don't make any difference. When I taught crocheting, then lern how book di it through both. So that is what I taught. That is also how my mom and all my sisters. But agaiń it depends on at you make and how it will be used. Hope that helps. Charlie
    !

7. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyMcQuade View Post
    Hello,
    So I was just reading the post of "Crochet Mistakes" One of the contributors said that when they double crochet, the correct technique is to go through both the front and back loops. I thought I was only supposed to go through either the front loop or the back loop, not both I am now confused. I went back and searched on YouTube and one person double crocheted only through the front loop (as I have been doing) and one person went through both! Help!
    Nancy
    Hi Nancy,

The correct technique is to go through both loops. Go through one loop only when the pattern directs you to do so. The pattern will also tell you which loop to go through, front or back. If it does not specify then you should go through both loops.

If you are making up your own pattern then you can do whatever pleases you. Going through only one loop creates a ridge which can be attractive on some pieces. It also makes the piece a bit longer since the stitch will be anchored by only one loop instead of the usual two. If you don't want that ridge then go through both loops.

Char

9. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep just as the others say. If you are working from a pattern and it doesn't stipulate back loop or front loop then it is through both loops as default.

double crochet is about how many times you yarn over and pull through.

11. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    Nancy
    Hi Nancy. I found that when I learned crochet on my own thru youtube and had no one to ask questions to other than my computer, I started using the benefit of my computer more, doing searches for exact specific topics, on youtube mostly or a general search engine search but I best liked watching videos to learn...
    so I'd type in the exact thing I wanted, like for example 'alternative double crochet stitch tutorial', then I'd find as many videos of that same topic and watch them all. I began bookmarking topics and have quite an extensive bookmark collection now!

People will argue for days in some fb crochet groups about things like which is the right way to make bobble/popcorn/puff or which filet/mesh/ is the right name or look, and other such stitches that are similar like that, when all they have to do is check sources for standards and get the info from the professionals, altho there is no substitute for experience in most instances.

I'm just telling you what I did, and still do. I know this is a lifelong learning with crochet and I like it that way!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 01-14-2016 at 02:55 PM.

13. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am always up for a challenge. Life would be boring if everything was easy. The hat I am working on now is my first foray in to magic circle and crocheting in a circle period. I have pulled every row out at least once but what fun and sense of accomplishment when I finally get the correct number of stitches at the end of each round!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am always up for a challenge. Life would be boring if everything was easy. The hat I am working on now is my first foray in to magic circle and crocheting in a circle period. I have pulled every row out at least once but what fun and sense of accomplishment when I finally get the correct number of stitches at the end of each round!
    I too am up for the challenges, and every piece i make is a fun learning experience! I will try anything and love the fact that it's never ending... I keep working with a project until I lick it, lol, and I love designing but he pattern writing and keeping up with the files isn't a part I enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    it depends on the finish you want....if you want it smoother, crochet thru 1 loop, on an afghan, through both for stronger finish....they tend to get stretched out by kids and also because of their weight....with a scarf you have to go thru front loop one way and back loop back