Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: crocheting

Post Thanks / Like

crocheting

I'm making another pair of slippers. It increases up to 30 sc stitches in the round. Then it's dc, increasing in some stitches - having a total of 29 stitches w/a space of 5 stitches. I have 4 spaces on one and 5 spaces on the other one that goes to it. I checked the other ones I did and they all have 5 stitches except one might be 6 stitches but the 2 slippers that go together for the pair of slippers that has 6 sts between - they both have the same amount of stitches unworked.

My question is on the pair of slippers I'm making - The one slipper has 4 stitches unworked and the other one has 5 stitches unworked. It's supposed to be 5 stitches unworked. Do you think I should frog the one w/4 stitches unworked? I'm going to just leave it. I don't want to frog it. I guess I answered my own question.

The pattern is Cosy crocheted slippers.
    Cosy crocheted slippers - Canadian Living
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 12-17-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    I'm making another pair of slippers. It increases up to 30 sc stitches in the round. Then it's dc, increasing in some stitches - having a total of 29 stitches w/a space of 5 stitches. I have 4 spaces on one and 5 spaces on the other one that goes to it. I checked the other ones I did and they all have 5 stitches except one might be 6 stitches but the 2 slippers that go together for the pair of slippers that has 6 sts between - they both have the same amount of stitches unworked.

My question is on the pair of slippers I'm making - The one slipper has 4 stitches unworked and the other one has 5 stitches unworked. It's supposed to be 5 stitches unworked. Do you think I should frog the one w/4 stitches unworked? I'm going to just leave it. I don't want to frog it. I guess I answered my own question.

The pattern is Cosy crocheted slippers.
    Cosy crocheted slippers - Canadian Living
    Jean, you crack me up! Asking a question and then answering it yourself. When I get caught doing that I say it's because I was looking for expert advice. To answer your question anyway - if the slipper is done and the glitch isn't noticeable, heck no, don't frog it. But if you can clearly see it then I would frog it. But that's just me. I tend to frog anything that isn't just so. If you're making more of the slippers pay special attention when you get to that section of your pattern so you can do both of them the same.

Have a Happy and a Merry, Jean Marie, and keep cracking me up!

Char

Post Thanks / Like
    I am crocheting the edging for a baby sweater. For the edging it says to join yarn, ch 1 and sc. I got back to the beginning and it says to slip stitch in the ch 1. When I joined the yarn at the beginning and then chained 1, the ch 1 is part of the 1st sc stitch so now that I'm all the way around the ch 1 is now actually just before the 1st stitch right?

Another question on the baby sweater
    In reading the pattern, after I sl st I have to turn and sc around again (rnd. 2) but it says to skip all marked stitches. The marked stitches (the ones I marked) are by the shoulders on the corner stitches and on the corner stitches by the neck (both sides of the shoulders - 4 stitches marked). Why would I skip those stitches?

Later in the pattern it says to turn back the lapels and tack down w/MC and to sew a snap on the inside of flap. Why would I need a snap? What is it for?

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    I am crocheting the edging for a baby sweater. For the edging it says to join yarn, ch 1 and sc. I got back to the beginning and it says to slip stitch in the ch 1. When I joined the yarn at the beginning and then chained 1, the ch 1 is part of the 1st sc stitch so now that I'm all the way around the ch 1 is now actually just before the 1st stitch right?

Another question on the baby sweater
    In reading the pattern, after I sl st I have to turn and sc around again (rnd. 2) but it says to skip all marked stitches. The marked stitches (the ones I marked) are by the shoulders on the corner stitches and on the corner stitches by the neck (both sides of the shoulders - 4 stitches marked). Why would I skip those stitches?

Later in the pattern it says to turn back the lapels and tack down w/MC and to sew a snap on the inside of flap. Why would I need a snap? What is it for?

Jean Marie
    Hi Jean Marie. Ist. question - Yes, your ch 1 is just before the 1st sc. But what I don't understand is why you would slip stitch into the chain and not into the 1st sc. Follow the directions anyway and see how it looks. If it looks funny or doesn't lay right, frog it and do it different.

2nd question - I assume you are going around the inside of the neck edge. Think of the neck of the sweater as a circle. With each addition of a row of stitches the circumference of the circle gets smaller. The smaller circle needs less stitches. That's why you are to skip those marked stitches. If you don't skip them the neck edge will stand up like a mandarin collar and you want the neck edge to lay flat.

3rd question - To me a snap doesn't make sense at all. A snap means you can unsnap it, but then do what with it? Nope, no snap. I would just tack down the corners of the lapels invisibly. You could leave it like that or sew on a decorative button or crochet a cute little flower for the inside corner of the lapel. The reason the directions say to tack down the lapel corners is because one lapel will lay down very nicely but the other will stick up and no matter what you do it just won't lay down like the other one. It's just the way things happen with crocheting, knitting too.

Let me know how it works.

Char

Post Thanks / Like
    The baby sweater is done. I thought I'd make another pair of booties and this time do the instep but the booties are not the same size. I tried stretching the smaller one.

Post Thanks / Like
    The baby sweater is done. I thought I'd make another pair of booties and this time do the instep but the booties are not the same size. I tried stretching the smaller one.
    HaHa! I'm very familiar with the stretching technique. If it's just slightly smaller that may work but in my case it never did.

Wow, I really really wish I had saved some of me earlier projects. Matching booties of various sizes were just one of many things I encountered along the way.