Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

reading a pattern

Hi,
    I had started making a baby set and then went to crocheting slippers and now I'm back to working on the baby set.

On the left front of the baby sweater on row 2 it says to ch 1 -counts as 1st sc, skip 1st sc and sc in each sc across. We had figured out that to mean sc in the 1st stitch. I have that done and now am working on the right front so I'm crocheting it the same way - sc in the 1st stitch. I think now that maybe they mean to skip the 1st stitch. Anyways I'm crocheting in the 1st stitch cause that's how I did it on the left front.

Looking ahead on the pattern - the sleeves

row 4 - ch1, sc in same stitch, sc to last stitch, 2 sc in last stitch
    what does same stitch mean? row 3 (which is a sc in last stitch) so on row 4 do I ch 1 and sc in the same stitch as the last one on row 3 which would be the first stitch of row 4 and so I would have 2 stitches in the 1st stitch?

It sounds like 2 stitches in the first and last stitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went ahead w/the sleeves. I crocheted on it a ways and the color wouldn't work so I frogged it back to the cuff and crocheted it again w/the right color but I didn't have much yarn left in that color and I thought this time that ch 1and sc in same stitch meant that after I chained 1 that I was suppose to crochet again in the last stitch that I just did (which would be the end of the last row so after I chained 1 and had turned to start the next row, instead of crocheting in the 1st stitch I crocheted in the stitch below the 1st stitch and I almost got that done and I realized I did it wrong so I'm going to frog it again up to the cuff and start over and this time I'm going to sc 2 in the 1st and last stitch.

I start with 22 stitches and I'm supposed to end up with 38 stitches. Increasing 2 stitches a row for 8 rows will be 38 stitches but I increase 2 sc and then 8 more times which doesn't add up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jean Marie
    From what I am reading of your instructions for the sleeve, that chain one is a stitch if it states it in your pattern. "chain 1 counts as sc now and through out unless otherwise stated" is usually how it is worded. so after you chain one you insert hook in last stitch from previous row and do your sc. at the end of that row you do two sc in last stitch from previous row. the math of total increases, I stink at. sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaErnestine View Post
    Hello Jean Marie
    From what I am reading of your instructions for the sleeve, that chain one is a stitch if it states it in your pattern. "chain 1 counts as sc now and through out unless otherwise stated" is usually how it is worded. so after you chain one you insert hook in last stitch from previous row and do your sc. at the end of that row you do two sc in last stitch from previous row. the math of total increases, I stink at. sorry.
    Can you make this clearer to understand?

Post Thanks / Like
    The pattern is in a leisure arts book called 'crocheting for baby'

ch 23
    row 1 - sc across - 22 stitches
    row 2 - ch 1 - counts as 1st sc, sc across
    row 3 same as row 2 but w/different color
    row 4 ch 1, sc in same st, sc to last st, 2 sc in last st
    continue to increase every 4th (5th) row 8 times - 38 (38) sts.
    work even until sleeve is 7 (9)".

The pattern is the beginner baby set by Edie Eckman. What does she mean on row 4 ?

This is the book it's in: Ravelry: Beginner Baby Set: Cardigan pattern by Edie Eckman

row 2 was the same for the left and right front. I thought it meant to just crochet in the 1st st but now I think it might mean to skip the 1st stitch but I crocheted in the first stitch on the back and left and right front of the sweater and so I want to crochet in the 1st stitch .

Post Thanks / Like
    slippers
    The slippers say ch 2 (counts as dc), dc in next st so I skip the 1st st and then when it say to work even I ch 2 and sip the 1st st but when I'm doing sc on the baby sweater I don't want to skip the first stitch. Normally I wouldn't skip the 1st st on dc either but I did on the slippers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me get a hook and some yarn and I will try the pattern that wrote up. and post what I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    reading a pattern-100_2870-jpg I crochet the first 4 rows and I think I have figured it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    reading a pattern-100_2868-jpg ok this picture shows the chain one and were I would insert my hook. if you skip the stitch as you would with a DC, you will only have 21 sc.
    as the pattern reads for increase it doesn't work. you need to increase on each end or you only have a total of 30 stitches.
    You need to write in the instructions to sc2 in first and last stitch of increase row 4.
    Did I help you at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if I can help with the slippers. but I did post some pictures and what I think she (designer) was trying to do in pattern.