Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

circular vests help please

I have crocheted a circular vest for a 2 year old. fits perfect in back but doesn't meet in front. do I keep adding rounds and make it longer with a bigger collar or can I just add rows on each side in front and make it look right???? It really is long enough and the collar looks right now. Any advise here will be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    someone will probably have an answer for you.

3. Likes buzyazabee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just winged it. Added lacy like rounds and it worked fine. Bigger collar but looks cute hanging on back. Sort of a slight ruffle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buzyazabee View Post
    I have crocheted a circular vest for a 2 year old. fits perfect in back but doesn't meet in front. do I keep adding rounds and make it longer with a bigger collar or can I just add rows on each side in front and make it look right???? It really is long enough and the collar looks right now. Any advise here will be greatly appreciated.
    Almost all of the sweaters I make seem to be not wide enough to meet in the front. So I add button bands: Attach yarn in the one of the front corners, sc up one side to the top corner, sc, ch1, sc in corner. Sc in each stitch around neck to shoulder point, 3sctog at shoulder point, sc in each stitch to next shoulder point, 3sctog at shoulder point, sc in each stitch to next corner, sc, ch1, sc in corner. Sc down next side to next corner, ch1, turn. (Each side should have the same number of stitches or one side will be longer than the other.) Determine where you want your buttonholes to be and mark with stitch markers. Sc in each sc to stitch marker, ch1, skip 1 sc, sc to next stitch marker, etc. Sc in each sc to corner, sc, ch1, sc as before, sc around neck as before to the next corner as before and down the next side, ch1, turn. Sc in each sc to stitch before ch1 of buttonhole, skip next sc. 3sc in ch1 of buttonhole, skip next sc, sc to next buttonhole, etc. Continue around neck and down other side as before to bottom corner. You now have 3 options. 1) Finish off and weave in ends. 2) sc, ch1, sc in bottom corner, turn corner and crochet a decorative stitch around bottom of sweater ending at original start point of button bands. Finish off and weave in ends. 3) At bottom corner, ch1, turn crochet a decorative stitch up front, around neck, down front and around bottom. Finish off and weave in ends.

I don't know if this would work for a circular vest. You could also do one row of stitching all around incorporating a few button loops at the front.

Or, you could simply put 2 or 3 sets of cording ties on both sides of the front. Maybe with little tassels on the ends of the ties. Cute!

Good luck!

Char

6. Thanks buzyazabee thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Char. Will try this. I really love the idea of cording ties...will be cute on little girls vests with tassels.

Post Thanks / Like
    this is what it turned out to look like
    circular vests help please-circular-vest-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buzyazabee View Post
    Thank you Char. Will try this. I really love the idea of cording ties...will be cute on little girls vests with tassels.
    That is just too cute. Gonna have to make one for each of my nieces. I love using cording instead of a string of chain stitches. I not only make sweater ties with cording but I put it around hats and I always use it for baby booties. Let me know if you need me to tell you how to make it, or just google it. There's got to be a site that shows how to make it.

By the way, buttons for girls are on the left side of a sweater, boys on the right.

Char

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for tip on buttons...lol didn't even think about which side they go on. I googled the cording. I do think it is best.