Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Question Plastic or Carbonized tunisian hooks

So I want to start a Tunisian blanket, but I need new hooks for it. I have a couple, but they're nowhere near long enough. Anyway, I found some on amazon that I like, but I need a fellow crocheter's opinion. Unfortunately, my hubby is pretty much helpless, lol. So I guess my question is:

What are your opinions and experiences? Plastic or Bamboo?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

crocheted with Tuisian hooks

Plastic or Carbonized tunisian hooks-002-jpgPlastic or Carbonized tunisian hooks-001-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean20057 View Post
    So I want to start a Tunisian blanket, but I need new hooks for it. I have a couple, but they're nowhere near long enough. Anyway, I found some on amazon that I like, but I need a fellow crocheter's opinion. Unfortunately, my hubby is pretty much helpless, lol. So I guess my question is:

What are your opinions and experiences? Plastic or Bamboo?

I have some metal ones that I like but haven't used for a while. I have never owned or used any bamboo hooks. I made a pretty afghan that I loved. It has diamond shapes with smaller ones connecting where there would be holes. The only thing about any Tunisian hooks is that my squares will curl so badly (at least mine did). I was going to post some pictures...and I did but they are sitting sideways....Now I think (below) they are sitting the right way for you to see them! I still don't know how to delete the ones I don't want.
    Attached Images Attached Images Plastic or Carbonized tunisian hooks-001-jpg Plastic or Carbonized tunisian hooks-002-jpg 
    Last edited by redhead; 11-09-2015 at 06:56 AM. Reason: to rotate the pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    I crocheted one afghan many moons ago with a metal tunisian hook, and I still have it somewhere! I have heard some lousy reviews on plastic hooks. Take a look at this one - Amazon.com: Leegoal 11Pcs 2-8mm 10.6" Multicolour Aluminum TUNISIAN/AFGHAN Crochet Hook Knit Needles and see what you think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Nova! I actually have a couple metal hooks like that. Only thing is, I don't think they will work for a full size blanket. I actually bought a set of the carbonized bamboo hooks, and they are about 48" long! I will have to let you know how they work when I start that project. I am actually in the process of making my mom a scarf using one of my metal tunisian hooks, as it's only going to be about 6" wide.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made the afghan so long ago, but I don't remember the hook length being a problem; the pattern did call for a mix of stitches, so I would think it would depend on the pattern. But please post pictures and let us know how you liked the hook!

7. Likes Jean20057 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    patty that is so beautiful!!!

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is WOW!
    ---HarriEtta

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have metal Tunisian crochet hooks. They are cold and make noise when you drop them. I must try the bamboo hooks for comfort.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like

plastic or canonized tunisian hooks

I had purchased the carbonized hooks with 40" lanyard and stopper button already attached. I used the set to make a scarf which didn't need the lanyard and the six inch (or so) hook performed very well. I have no doubt that this will work better for larger projects and it was convenient even for the scarf to slide the stitches off onto the lanyard when putting it down. With the lanyard being a material similar to a soft straw, it was easy to tie the excess lanyard up with a rubber band to keep it out f the way while working.
    Hope this helps.

Berta

14. Likes Jean20057 liked this post