Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

A mod podge project

Hi everyone! is there anyone out there that likes to do other crafts as well as crocheting? Is there anyone out there that doesn't know what you can do with Mod Podge? If you've seen items finished with Mod Podge, but have never ever done anything with it.....here's all you need to Mod Podge something: either wrapping paper in different colors, comic books or fabric with designs on it (flowers, figures, etc) and of course a box or something you want to use to to do the Mod Podge on.

Here is an empty ice cream box. I cleaned the ice cream out of the container, found some fabric to cover it with and cut the designs out (doesn't have to be perfect). Then with a paint brush I dipped into the Mod Podge and and painted a place on the ice cream box, big enough to stick a piece of the fabric onto it. Then I painted the back side of the fabric and placed it on the box and painted glue over the fabric again with the Mod Podge until it was all wet. Brush out the wrinkles and don't worry that the white stuff is covering up your design because it dries clear as glass! And it really doesn't matter, if you like some wrinkles, you can just smooth some of them out and leave the rest. I overlapped the edges and and kept putting more on until I had the box covered. I also did the lid. (Mod Podge is just white glue that dries clear) . Then I found some tiny little paper note books that I have had in my craft "stash trash" for years, and glued them around the box. When I liked the way it all looked I gave the whole thing about 2 or 3 more coats of Mod Podge, cut small holes into the ends of the box for a handle. Then I chose yarn that matches the colors in my box and braided them for the handle. It is FINISHED!

Does this spark a little bit of interest in anyone out there? If you have grandkids, it would make a good afternoon project for them. They can put their art work on it, use fabric printed with little girl things, or for the boys there is fabric with cars, animals, etc. And the best part is there is no painting, just the glue! (I would still put an old shirt on the children in case they get sloppy with the glue !) Shoe boxes are great to make storage boxes with. Cigar boxes are also great for your projects. Pringles potato chip tube boxes with lids are good for storing crayons and colored pencils, you can also make memory boxes with using your family photos on them. Actually you can Mod Podge a table top if you want to! And you don't have to know how to paint a picture to do it! Use your imagination and have fun!!!!

I recently made a cabin using a corregated cardboard box from Walmart that cost me less than a dollar. They have several different sizes that sell for us to use for shipping purposes. I just unfolded the box and taped the seams together to form the box, and I covered it with a pretty designed fabric and glued paper windows onto it, a door and I didn't cut any holes in the box, making it perfect for a storage box. I made a roof for it and found some fabric in my stuff that looks like shingles and covered the roof and made it so you can just lift it off to get into it.

I am not trying to get you to give up crocheting, NO! NO! NO! I love to crochet too, but, It is just something to do that is a little different and a short rest from the crocheting. I have many crafts I like to do besides crocheting. I love to sketch, paint pictures, do plastic canvas projects, quilting,etc. You name it probably I have tried it! If you do, please post your projects. I would love to see them.

A mod podge project-001-jpgHave fun, Patty
    Last edited by redhead; 11-04-2015 at 08:01 AM.

2. Thanks andreala thanked for this post
    Likes SharonO, LilWing4ever, Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never used Mod Podge but did buy some as I have a sister-in-law who does a lot of fun stuff with it. You did a great job. Thanks for the inspiration. I have covered boxed with sticky material before for pretty storage but you've made me realise that with Mod Podge, I could use any material. Another project to add to my todo list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andreala View Post
    I've never used Mod Podge but did buy some as I have a sister-in-law who does a lot of fun stuff with it. You did a great job. Thanks for the inspiration. I have covered boxed with sticky material before for pretty storage but you've made me realise that with Mod Podge, I could use any material. Another project to add to my todo list.
    Hi andreala, You are welcome. I wish I had taken a picture of the cabin I made but unfortunately I didn't....But I may make another one for myself. I have a big box of fabric which includes several pieces I bought a long time ago that were bought with quilts in mind. I was up north above the US?CANADA border line into Canada and visited a fabric shop like one I had never been in before or since. I kinda lost my mind and went on a buying spree in that store! I would love to go back there once more!! Have fun with the Mod Podge! Patty

PS!! I bought another box at Walmart for less than a $1 and it is a 14"X14"X14", the same size as the one I used for the other cabin. I am going to make another cabin! And I am going to decoupage it! I hope I can post a picture when I finish it. Right now I can't even post pictures! Patty
    Last edited by redhead; 12-04-2015 at 12:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by winterswench View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Thanks winterwench! I hope you create something and post it on here!! Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Redhead, are we related? I'm from Canada and like you I bought oodles of material years ago with the intent of making a quilt. I did start a quilt 2 years ago but the project has been on hold for a year.

Post Thanks / Like

A mod podge project-bed-cover-5-jpgA mod podge project-bed-cover-2-jpgA mod podge project-bed-cover-3-jpgA mod podge project-bed-cover-4-jpg
    Oh Redhead, are we related? I'm from Canada and like you I bought oodles of material years ago with the intent of making a quilt. I did start a quilt 2 years ago but the project has been on hold for a year.
    Hello andreala, I don't think we are related....I was born in Indiana here in the USA. When my first husband passed away I remarried 7 years later and my second one took me on a lot of trips. All the way to Alaska twice, on the last one we took my Mom. That marriage went wrong about about 6 years later and we divorced. That is another story in itself.

I think that fabric shop is in Ste Sault Marie (maybe). Maybe you would know where it is. It was almost like a fabric warehouse with very reasonable prices or Sam's here in the states. Of course I don't remember the name of the shop
    I have made some quilts...the last one I did... I quilted it on my own quilting frames that I made specially for that quilt! I posted pictures of me sitting at the side f the frames doing some of the quilting. The quilt was one that I cross-stitched. and I love it. We could still be friends even is not related thru family.
    Here is 4 pics of some of my projects

Starting at the top: A quilt that I cut the pieces for while we would stay at a motel each night and it was ready to stitch together by the time we arrived back home

A crocheted star bedspread (I entered in the Count Fair a couple years back and got a ribbon it but would have been a champion ribbon except that it was so heavy!
    A crocheted bedspread made of 20 giant blocks! (actually that at the bottom is my bedspread showing below the crocheted one)

The quilt I cross-stitched and then quilted it on my home-made quilting frames, just like the old-fashioned ones my Grandma used.... with saw horses and 2X4's and ALL were made by me!! Patty
    Last edited by redhead; 11-06-2015 at 11:36 AM.

9. Likes LilWing4ever, Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sheesh, your quilts had me drooling all over my computer. You do lovely work. You're obviously a woman of many talents!!! And yes, being friends would be good.

11. Thanks redhead thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sheesh, your quilts had me drooling all over my computer. You do lovely work. You're obviously a woman of many talents!!! And yes, being friends would be good.
    I sent you a friend a request and sent you a PM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Hi everyone! is there anyone out there that likes to do other crafts as well as crocheting? Is there anyone out there that doesn't know what you can do with Mod Podge? If you've seen items finished with Mod Podge, but have never ever done anything with it.....here's all you need to Mod Podge something: either wrapping paper in different colors, comic books or fabric with designs on it (flowers, figures, etc) and of course a box or something you want to use to to do the Mod Podge on.

Here is an empty ice cream box. I cleaned the ice cream out of the container, found some fabric to cover it with and cut the designs out (doesn't have to be perfect). Then with a paint brush I dipped into the Mod Podge and and painted a place on the ice cream box, big enough to stick a piece of the fabric onto it. Then I painted the back side of the fabric and placed it on the box and painted glue over the fabric again with the Mod Podge until it was all wet. Brush out the wrinkles and don't worry that the white stuff is covering up your design because it dries clear as glass! And it really doesn't matter, if you like some wrinkles, you can just smooth some of them out and leave the rest. I overlapped the edges and and kept putting more on until I had the box covered. I also did the lid. (Mod Podge is just white glue that dries clear) . Then I found some tiny little paper note books that I have had in my craft "stash trash" for years, and glued them around the box. When I liked the way it all looked I gave the whole thing about 2 or 3 more coats of Mod Podge, cut small holes into the ends of the box for a handle. Then I chose yarn that matches the colors in my box and braided them for the handle. It is FINISHED!

Does this spark a little bit of interest in anyone out there? If you have grandkids, it would make a good afternoon project for them. They can put their art work on it, use fabric printed with little girl things, or for the boys there is fabric with cars, animals, etc. And the best part is there is no painting, just the glue! (I would still put an old shirt on the children in case they get sloppy with the glue !) Shoe boxes are great to make storage boxes with. Cigar boxes are also great for your projects. Pringles potato chip tube boxes with lids are good for storing crayons and colored pencils, you can also make memory boxes with using your family photos on them. Actually you can Mod Podge a table top if you want to! And you don't have to know how to paint a picture to do it! Use your imagination and have fun!!!!

I recently made a cabin using a corregated cardboard box from Walmart that cost me less than a dollar. They have several different sizes that sell for us to use for shipping purposes. I just unfolded the box and taped the seams together to form the box, and I covered it with a pretty designed fabric and glued paper windows onto it, a door and I didn't cut any holes in the box, making it perfect for a storage box. I made a roof for it and found some fabric in my stuff that looks like shingles and covered the roof and made it so you can just lift it off to get into it.

I am not trying to get you to give up crocheting, NO! NO! NO! I love to crochet too, but, It is just something to do that is a little different and a short rest from the crocheting. I have many crafts I like to do besides crocheting. I love to sketch, paint pictures, do plastic canvas projects, quilting,etc. You name it probably I have tried it! If you do, please post your projects. I would love to see them.

A mod podge project-001-jpgHave fun, Patty
    That is a really cute decoupage project with the ice cream carton!! I'm a hand crafter from way back, I get into it ALL! Funny you mentioned a tabletop with decoupage, I did a little round one with cartoons on it, and 4 vases that I love and got for next to nothing from the thrift store and used the mod podge to decoupage magazine pics I cut out and did themes, one of spring, veggies, flowers and Americana, and a dessert themed bowl. Here are my pics of the vases, and tabletop while drying with no legs screwed on... (the vases aren't my best work on any crafting in my opinion but I enjoyed it). I posted more crafting below, but since I started crochet I've done nothing else, not even read a single book which is unbelievable!

A mod podge project-fruits-veggie-decoupage-vase-jpg

A mod podge project-floral-decoupage-vase-jpg

A mod podge project-spring-theme-decoupage-vase-jpg

A mod podge project-sm-vase-1-jpg

A mod podge project-decoupage-bowl-jpg

A mod podge project-dec-table-1-jpg

Not sure if it will load more pics but if it does, this is some long stitch, cross stitch & ceramic Christmas ornaments from the distant past and some paper flower wreaths and other paper crafts, and a sun catcher from the 2000's:

A mod podge project-hot-air-balloon-stitch-needlepoint-circa-1982-jpg

A mod podge project-cross-stitch-ornaments-1-jpg

A mod podge project-cross-stitch-ornaments-2-jpg

A mod podge project-wreath-2-jpg

A mod podge project-rose-wreath-1-jpg

A mod podge project-toilet-paper-roll-flower-spray-painted-jpg

A mod podge project-sun-catchers-jpg

I made jewelry from 2011-2012 but there are too many pics and I posted them on here a few months ago or at least the google+ link to my pics there. I have made tons of crafts but it makes me sad that I still haven't quilted my quilt top yet. This link has some of my jewelry and early crochet projects... if anyone wants to check them out you'll see the work of a crafting fanatic, lol!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10331977...3416339/photos
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-06-2015 at 10:10 PM.

14. Likes LilWing4ever liked this post