Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing site that is your own free library on crochet or anything else!!

Hi all! I've been meaning to post this link but finally remembered to after going thru it last night. Well, at 4 a.m. today really...

https://issuu.com/

If you've seen this site, you know how awesome it is, but if not, you have got to go here!!! I signed up on it for free under Susan's Soul Shines as my usual username, and I have several 'stacks' of crochet digital publications already started and have names of categories where I simply searched crochet, crochet stitches/patterns/magazines, etc, and have added many books and magazines to these stacks.

You're welcome to follow my stacks and use them if you'd like since I set them up as open for people to do that, or you can create your own stacks. You'll see what I mean once you get into the site, it's not a hard one to get around on. You can search ANY subject and save the publications on them in stacks, or just browse thru them.

There are amazing books & mags, anything you want really, like 300 Crochet Stitches, 100 Crochet Stitch Patterns, 101 Crochet Stitch Patterns, Crochet Master, ALL the main ones you'd have to buy and would love to have, or like I used to do, get them at the library and then have to return them when you want to keep them! There are endless other crochet books & magazines that aren't normally free, but on here they ARE free. They encourage people to publish their own things on the site too, so you writers/authors, go for it!

These are the new, current AND standard all time old faithfuls too, for you to read, zoom in and out, turn the digital pages, they're yours to use and it is fantastic to have access to all of that for free, since it's all you need as far as crochet reference & literature!

I'm actually not sure if you can print from the site and I didn't even check that, because I apparently somehow 'misplaced' our printer cables for our perfectly good printer/scanner last year when we moved here and I've used the library printer with my flash drive for printing for now because the cables are obsolete within 6 mths - yr usually but I hope we'll run across some at a flea market or thrift store.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-06-2015 at 08:31 PM.

2. Likes Nova55, missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    Hi all! I've been meaning to post this link but finally remembered to after going thru it last night. Well, at 4 a.m. today really...

https://issuu.com/

If you've seen this site, you know how awesome it is, but if not, you have got to go here!!! I signed up on it for free under Susan's Soul Shines as my usual username, and I have several 'stacks' of crochet digital publications already started with names of categories by simply searching crochet, crochet stitches, crochet patterns, etc and have added many books and magazines to these stacks. You can follow my stacks and use them if you'd like since I made them open for people to do that, or you can create your own stacks. You'll see what I mean once you get into the site, it's not a hard one to get around on. You can search ANY subject and save the publications on them in stacks, or just browse thru them.

There are amazing books & mags, anything you want really, like 300 Crochet Stitches, 100 Crochet Stitch Patterns, 101 Crochet Stitch Patterns, Crochet Master, ALL the main ones you'd have to buy and would love to have, or like I used to do, get them at the library and then have to return them when you want to keep them! There are endless other crochet books & magazines that aren't normally free, but on here they ARE free. They encourage people to publish their own things on the site too, so you writers/authors, go for it!

These are the new, current AND standard all time old faithfuls too, for you to read, zoom in and out, turn the digital pages, they're yours to use and it is fantastic to have access to all of that for free, since it's all you need as far as crochet reference & literature! So, go there and be awed and thrilled - I was, and am - can you tell?!

I'm actually not sure if you can print from the site and I didn't even check that, because I apparently somehow 'misplaced' our printer cables for our perfectly good printer/scanner last year when we moved here. Nothing else is missing from the move at all. I hate moving, it just messes up your life and you have to rearrange everything AGAIN and start over, and it's expensive and painful. Even tho I love the place it's not ours and will never be paid off for us to live payment free. (Long sad story, we lost our home when I went thru the miserable 2 yr process for my disability in 1997, it makes me sick to this very day) I'm still frustrated over these cables too in case you can't tell, who wouldn't be?! And the bad thing is that we had both cables sitting right beside the printer and Dale & I both saw them here in the room it would be used in and thought nothing of it. I was so happy to have this room for my crochet table and computer, book shelves, it has a huge walk in closet, it's our spare room of course but it's my peaceful therapy domain. I have a desktop and Dale has a laptop so he just moves it around the house from time to time wherever he wants to work on it at.
    I began moving things around in here to set up my wonderful space, then after a few days Dale was ready to hook up my computer and printer so I could print my patterns out to work off of, yaayyy...
    And both cables were just GONE. The printer is still here, but we haven't seen those darn cables since. I still look at least once a month even after a year and a half, hoping I'll find them someplace, but they're not in the garage, attic, closets, boxes, nowhere. We can't see how I could have thrown away something like that with the big adapter box on that one cable, and I'd never toss out something that important that was just sitting there where they should be! But considering the pressure and unhappiness that we moved under, it's a wonder we have anything left at all. Obviously they were STOLEN somehow... lol.... not really, and I can't really even laugh about it because heck, printers are expensive and we can't just go get another one, and here's our perfectly good one sitting here on a book shelf, unusable. The cables are obsolete now (you know how within 6 mths they do that with electronics to make $$ and rip you off) and I've searched high and low online and thru everyone we know to find cables like ours with no luck, and they can't even be bought thru the manufacturer.
    Thx for letting me rant out my misery over this, I really enjoyed getting it off my chest.

Go to the site and enjoy it, and remember you can search ANY topic and find publications on it!
    Hi Susan, What kind of printer do you have? I have a printer still out in the garage and I am pretty sure I have all the attachments. I know it is an HP but not sure right this moment what the model number is . I will have to look in the garage (OH NO!!!!) but I WILL look just for you when I have a little more time. ( have a new HP cordless printer) Let me know what kind you have before I go to the garage.

I took a quick look at that website and am interested in it if I can figure out how to use it. I guess you read them like Ebooks? Thanks for the invitation to it. Patty
    Last edited by redhead; 11-04-2015 at 08:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Patty!!

Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Hi Susan, What kind of printer do you have? I have a printer still out in the garage and I am pretty sure I have all the attachments. I know it is an HP but not sure right this moment what the model number is . I will have to look in the garage (OH NO!!!!) but I WILL look just for you when I have a little more time. ( have a new HP cordless printer) Let me know what kind you have before I go to the garage.

I took a quick look at that website and am interested in it if I can figure out how to use it. I guess you read them like Ebooks? Thanks for the invitation to it. Patty
    Hey redhead Patty, nice to hear from you! First of all thank you for offering to check on your printer, but save yourself a trip to the garage because mine is a Lexmark. Shoot! But maybe one day we'll run across some, I'm keeping the printer just in case, that's for sure. We keep hoping that we'll find cables at a thrift store or flea market. Some people save old ones, so you never know. I have checked with some people who do that, just no luck so far. It just bothers me so much that we had them sitting right with the printer, then they vanished, and no one had been in the house but us either.

We'd had to put our things in storage for 2 weeks after being in a nice big home for 6 weeks, then move it out to this location. I was cringing with my stuff being in TWO storage bldgs when the 1st one they had available was too small, and the way we moved 2 times caused me to not get to properly mark boxes on the 2nd phase of moving. Some boxes hadn't even been UNpacked yet when we had to do that other move. While this is very personal and even tragic, we were doing it to share a nice big home with my daughter and her 2 sons to help with them and her being a single mother, she wasn't doing well any way but financially, but things were destined to get really ugly.

So we both left the homes we lived in and moved in together, against our actual better judgement, but we were so torn over it and those boys needed us so bad that I just had to try. We all thought it would help us to combine expenses too, and the kids never ate real food when it was left up to her. They wanted to come live with us so we thought that would be a great way to compromise. It turned out to be horrific and filled with deep heartache when I learned that some idiot doctor was giving my daughter a legal amphetamine prescription, which is speed, and it made her act insane. I guess she s just started taking them but they affected her so terribly we had no idea what was going on at 1st, until I found a pharmacy bottle. She was already under a lot of pressure from work but she has a great job.

We absolutely just couldn't live with her acting like she was, and it got really bad, really quick. I feel like I deserted my grandsons but I couldn't take them with us, 1st she wouldn't let us, and 2nd I don't live in their school district and can't get them both to different schools daily, not with my health issues. If not for that I'd have those boys with me right now if any way possible. I have tried to talk to the oldest boys other grandmother but she not very easy to deal with, but I do know he's close to his father, who is her son. I've not even been able to find out where she moved to since last year, so I need for my sanity and their well being to find out if she is off the drugs and if those boys are ok. One is 15 and one is 11.

She blames us naturally, they usually blame other people when drugs are involved, but had we known or even had a clue before we moved that this was going on, if it was going on then, the move wouldn't have happened and I could have possibly gotten her to get help and get off the drugs. What kind of 'doctor' does something so dangerous, and why would my very smart, sensible, beautiful daughter risk her health and her job, and possibly even losing her children over drugs she didn't need to be taking? She was once so happy, she had it made and the boys were very fortunate. I didn't really worry much about her or the boys at all until last year.

I hate to have my belongings in boxes, and the mental and physical work of moving is a nightmare. My pain level has been off the charts since we made those moves last year and I know I did some permanent damage to my body this time, the Fibro and osteA are horrible since last summer. Woe to me, the smile on my face covers more heartache than I ever imagined, and believe me, I've already had much more than my own share of it. I thought I may never smile again, but when my health was failing even more I realized that I have to think about my husband and myself, even tho I feel guilty doing so. Sadly I've learned that so very many families have problems like these and mine is far from the only one with problems like these.

Ok, for that digital publishing site in my post, and yes, they're e-book type of material. Just set up an account off the main menu, you can do it thru facebook, google+, or your email, I did it thru my email, and then you just type in on the search line at the top of the page, anything about crochet, just the word crochet, or crochet stitches, or things like I explained some in my original post.

There's a menu on the right side of the page and you can set up and name stacks, like crochet magazines, crochet basics, clothing patterns, accessories, etc, whatever you need to remember what you saved. You can do like I said and follow my stacks too, just play around with it, it's quite easy unless you plan to get really deep into it, and I don't see a need to do that for our purposes!

I'll keep playing with the menu and if I learn any new tricks I'll post them. If you have any questions just ask and I'll see if I can help you, but you probably can do the basics of it. I throw myself completely and fully into my love of crochet and it's therapeutic ways, and I'm always doing something with crochet so it's never a bother, and I always have time to share with others.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-04-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SusansSoulShines;177564]Hey redhead Patty, nice to hear from you! First of all thank you for offering to check on your printer, but save yourself a trip to the garage because mine is a Lexmark. Shoot! But maybe one day we'll run across some, I'm keeping the printer just in case, that's for sure. We keep hoping that we'll find cables at a thrift store or flea market. Some people save old ones, so you never know. I have checked with some people who do that, just no luck so far. It just bothers me so much that we had them sitting right with the printer, then they vanished, and no one had been in the house but us either.

We'd had to put our things in storage for 2 weeks after being in a nice big home for 6 weeks, then move it out to this location. I was cringing with my stuff being in TWO storage bldgs when the 1st one they had available was too small, and the way we moved 2 times caused me to not get to properly mark boxes on the 2nd phase of moving. Some boxes hadn't even been UNpacked yet when we had to do that other move. While this is very personal and even tragic, we were doing it to share a nice big home with my daughter and her 2 sons to help with them and her being a single mother, she wasn't doing well any way but financially, but things were destined to get really ugly.

So we both left the homes we lived in and moved in together, against our actual better judgement, but we were so torn over it and those boys needed us so bad that I just had to try. We all thought it would help us to combine expenses too, and the kids never ate real food when it was left up to her. They wanted to come live with us so we thought that would be a great way to compromise. It turned out to be horrific and filled with deep heartache when I learned that some idiot doctor was giving my daughter a legal amphetamine prescription, which is speed, and it made her act insane. I guess she s just started taking them but they affected her so terribly we had no idea what was going on at 1st, until I found a pharmacy bottle. She was already under a lot of pressure from work but she has a great job.

We absolutely just couldn't live with her acting like she was, and it got really bad, really quick. I feel like I deserted my grandsons but I couldn't take them with us, 1st she wouldn't let us, and 2nd I don't live in their school district and can't get them both to different schools daily, not with my health issues. If not for that I'd have those boys with me right now if any way possible. I have tried to talk to the oldest boys other grandmother but she not very easy to deal with, but I do know he's close to his father, who is her son. I've not even been able to find out where she moved to since last year, so I need for my sanity and their well being to find out if she is off the drugs and if those boys are ok. One is 15 and one is 11.

She blames us naturally, they usually blame other people when drugs are involved, but had we known or even had a clue before we moved that this was going on, if it was going on then, the move wouldn't have happened and I could have possibly gotten her to get help and get off the drugs. What kind of 'doctor' does something so dangerous, and why would my very smart, sensible, beautiful daughter risk her health and her job, and possibly even losing her children over drugs she didn't need to be taking? She was once so happy, she had it made and the boys were very fortunate. I didn't really worry much about her or the boys at all until last year.

I hate to have my belongings in boxes, and the mental and physical work of moving is a nightmare. My pain level has been off the charts since we made those moves last year and I know I did some permanent damage to my body this time, the Fibro and osteA are horrible since last summer. Woe to me, the smile on my face covers more heartache than I ever imagined, and believe me, I've already had much more than my own share of it. I thought I may never smile again, but when my health was failing even more I realized that I have to think about my husband and myself, even tho I feel guilty doing so. Sadly I've learned that so very many families have problems like these and mine is far from the only one with problems like these.

Ok, for that digital publishing site in my post, and yes, they're e-book type of material. Just set up an account off the main menu, you can do it thru facebook, google+, or your email, I did it thru my email, and then you just type in on the search line at the top of the page, anything about crochet, just the word crochet, or crochet stitches, or things like I explained some in my original post.

There's a menu on the right side of the page and you can set up and name stacks, like crochet magazines, crochet basics, clothing patterns, accessories, etc, whatever you need to remember what you saved. You can do like I said and follow my stacks too, just play around with it, it's quite easy unless you plan to get really deep into it, and I don't see a need to do that for our purposes!

I'll keep playing with the menu and if I learn any new tricks I'll post them. If you have any questions just ask and I'll see if I can help you, but you probably can do the basics of it. I throw myself completely and fully into my love of crochet and it's therapeutic ways, and I'm always doing something with crochet so it's never a bother, and I always have time to share with others. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh Susan, I will be praying for you and your family during this time. It is really hard but it happens more often than we would like things to happen. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hopefully, you will feel better soon too.

I think Mikey from the Crochet Crowd has something on Issuu too. I get emails from his site and they show the magazine on it. Haven't downloaded the app on my cell phone just yet but it is good go know I can sign up online (easier to read on a bigger screen anyway) so I will be checking it out. Thanks so much for posting it.

I can understand about having things in boxes. Before I moved from NY, I had boxes all over my house since there was a problem with the buyers mortgage but it all went through, though it seemed forever. I have now been in NC for a couple of months and am getting more boxes unpacked (last seem to be the ones with yarn and my crochet books and cookbooks). I haven't crocheted in a while due to the move and packing, now I am getting closer to starting it again.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI Roe View Post
    Oh Susan, I will be praying for you and your family during this time. It is really hard but it happens more often than we would like things to happen. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hopefully, you will feel better soon too.

I think Mikey from the Crochet Crowd has something on Issuu too. I get emails from his site and they show the magazine on it. Haven't downloaded the app on my cell phone just yet but it is good go know I can sign up online (easier to read on a bigger screen anyway) so I will be checking it out. Thanks so much for posting it.

I can understand about having things in boxes. Before I moved from NY, I had boxes all over my house since there was a problem with the buyers mortgage but it all went through, though it seemed forever. I have now been in NC for a couple of months and am getting more boxes unpacked (last seem to be the ones with yarn and my crochet books and cookbooks). I haven't crocheted in a while due to the move and packing, now I am getting closer to starting it again.

Roe
    Thank you Roe, I greatly appreciate your prayers and kind words about my situation. I'm not proud or happy about this, but am not ashamed either. This thing with my daughter is even so much worse because drugs ruined the life of my son too. I'd love to get hold of that doctor that gave her that drug, that's the kind of doctor that needs to be arrested.

My son is incarcerated in a federal penitentiary for taking and selling drugs, but he started young and got into one round of trouble after another, finally they got tired of him and he made a few too many bad decisions, and they slammed him for a maximum sentence and took away his entire adult life.

My daughter was always so against drugs because of his lifestyle, now look. Both of my kids, our family changed forever, all because of drugs. Believe me, as a mother you fee l guilt and always say' where did I go wrong', but honestly, I didn't go wrong. My son even told me not to blame myself, that it was his fault and I know I did all I could to change him, or make him change, either way he's been out of the 'real world' for almost 15 yrs, that was his sentence.

My heart literally breaks every day for a time, then I get on with my day, or the rest of it, depending on when it hits me to think about the sorrow this has brought me. I gave my kids many opportunities, did very little for myself but gave it all to them, and I think they took advantage of them, even as adults they do that - my daughter sure did.

Sometimes the more you do for them, the more they expect, but there are times that 'Mama' can't get you out of trouble. My son only has 3 yrs to go, give or take, depending on some current new laws that are changing things for non-violent drug felons. I can't believe that is my son I'm talking about when I say that. I sure miss the days when we were a once happy family and saw each other all the time, and life was so different.

Well, let me move on from sad things... yes, Mikey and CC has his Mikey Magazine on there, I've saved many of them. The stitch books and patterns on that site is endlessly wonderful, so helpful, and free!! I use a desktop so I don't use apps, that would possible be beyond my capabilities, lol... if I have to pack a box any time soon, I think that will make me give away many things I own and pack a suitcase and leave.

We've paid so much to get moved, they rip you off every way you turn to get utilities transferred, and initial costs are outrageous and unnecessary. Ok, well, I'm glad the site will be of some help to you , it's helped me in design a lot, I needed a lot of those books and would hate to have to try to collect them all, it would never happen! Hope you're having a nice weekend!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-07-2015 at 09:46 PM.