Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: fan shawl

Post Thanks / Like

2. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Likes missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ola alaa View Post
    This is exactly why I took the Craftsy class for learning to read diagram / chart pattern, and it helped me a lot but it's gonna take a lot of practice on easy ones before I ever get good at it, and I won't ever be great at it, lol! GREAT pattern, thx for posting!
    I started out with simple flowers before I took the class, but when you're used to written patterns and some videos, these can be very difficult. This one isn't color coded per row, which would help a LOT if it was, so it looks like a jumbled mess to those of us who didn't grow up learning this and doing them all your life!
    It's lovely and the yarn is awesome, but there are some very similar written pattern shawls to this that we can make if we can't follow this diagram, thank goodness! I'm making the South Bay Shalwette right now and even tho it has a written pattern, I'm actually going only by the diagram since it's so much easier and I need the experience, and I'm really enjoying it! I can't print the written pattern out to mark it off as I go in a plastic cover, until I take my flash drive to the library to print it and a few other patterns out.... I lost our printer cables when we moved last year and it makes me sick to see that printer sitting there and not be able to use it, and the cables are 'obsolete' so we can' replace them. This has caused ma lot of grief when I need a pattern printed out!!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 10-29-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    you are welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ola alaa View Post
    some of yall might like this shawl/shawlette option pattern. I just made the Lion Brand South Bay Shawlette, which is very similar to this but not quite as detailed. It was easy for me to follow it as my 1st all diagram pattern even tho they have a written pattern too, which helped me to better understand how some of the diagram ends were done at the end of each row. You can make this piece bigger for full shawl size and I plan to get another skein to make it a full sized shawl.

Lion Brand used Mohair but I didn't have any, and I saw many versions of this piece that others had made using many different yarn types, so I used Sheep-ish which is 70% wool and 30% acrylic, and gives the stitches a unique look that I love and have looked for but never found yet. I admire people who can use charted patterns without written instructions.

I don't yet understand how some of the motif joins and garment seams are done when there is only a diagram for the body shown, but I'm still learning to follow this type of pattern and am glad to see that a lot of sites are putting diagrams on their patterns along with written ones so that people who crochet with different methods can use their pattern! Here is a pic of it worn backwards like a scarf, which I like to do with shawlettes.

fan shawl-sbs2-jpg
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 01-08-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    so pretty
    thank you for sharing

Post Thanks / Like
    you're welcome