Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DC Decrease

Post Thanks / Like

DC Decrease

My pattern says that I should dc2tog (Same as DC decrease) Can you explained how to decrease a DC rather than just skip the stitch?
    Thank you.
    Nancy

Post Thanks / Like
    For a dc2tog you yarn over and put your hook through the stitch and pull up a loop. You'll have 3 loops on your hook. Pull through 2 of the loops on your hook. Leaving 2 loops on your hook, yarn over and put your hook into the NEXT stitch and pull up a loop. You'll now have 4 loops on your hook. Yarn over and pull through only 2 loops. Finally, you'll yarn over and pull through the 3 remaining loops on your hook.

Hope this helps!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    For a dc2tog you yarn over and put your hook through the stitch and pull up a loop. You'll have 3 loops on your hook. Pull through 2 of the loops on your hook. Leaving 2 loops on your hook, yarn over and put your hook into the NEXT stitch and pull up a loop. You'll now have 4 loops on your hook. Yarn over and pull through only 2 loops. Finally, you'll yarn over and pull through the 3 remaining loops on your hook.

Hope this helps!

Shelley
    Thank you Shelley, this makes sense. This way there are no unworked stitches, right? I have been crocheting for years but mostly just straight line stitches so I don't know how to do the most common stitches.
    Nancy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy h View Post
    Thank you Shelley, this makes sense. This way there are no unworked stitches, right? I have been crocheting for years but mostly just straight line stitches so I don't know how to do the most common stitches.
    Nancy
    Exactly Nancy. You don't skip any stitches. You always put your hook through each stitch in the row before. Are you making a ripple afghan?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy h View Post
    Nancy
    Yes, I was looking at the pattern to make sure I could do it.
    My mom made me a ripple afghan about 50 years ago and I still have that one and was going to try one myself. However, hers was done in sc throughout and the pattern I'm looking at is done in DC. I guess that is to make it go faster.
    Nancy

Post Thanks / Like
    Nancy, I've made a lot of ripple afghans, for babies and large blankets for adults. The DC patterns definitely work up much faster. I've only made ripple chevron baby blankets using the SC stitch.... and it takes a long time for me to finish them. Although I love the way the SC stitches look in the end.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shelley,
    I agree, I like the way the pattern done in sc looks better than the one done in DC. But you pay the price of time when doing it.
    Nancy