Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ?

Post Thanks / Like

?

Hi, I,m crocheting big squares to use up my yarn. I did some dc and am doing hdc. On the corners I'm doing 2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc. When I get around and am almost to the ch 2 (as the first hdc) from when I started then I crochet the stitch right before the hdc before the corner space. Then do the corner sts. I gotta get to bed.

corner- L - When going around the corner

good night

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning All,
    It's just after 10. I just took out a a row/rnd. on the square cause I couldn't find where I chained when I started the rnd. It's 20 after 10 now. After I joined w/a sl st and chained 2 and did a hdc, chained 2 and did 2 hdc in the corner space - the next stitch that I crochet into is the stitch on the right of the next hdc right? and then when I get up to the next corner. o.k. I got up to the stitch before the space in the corner. Now, my next stitch is in the space, right? (2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) and my next stitch is to the right of the previous stitch. Whether I ch 2 or 3 and dc or hdc, ch 2 and have 2 or 3 more stitches in the space in the corner - my next st I do is to the right of the previous stitch. Am I making sense? It's just about 11 now.
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    I think I'm following you - sort of. Except you may have gotten your rights and lefts mixed up, unless you're a leftie. First, chain 2 and *put a stitch marker into the second chain. Then 1hdc, chain 1, 2hdc. Then, 1hdc in each of the previous hdcs from the previous row (these should be to the left of your corner). Continue in pattern to next corner, slip st into 2nd chain (with stitch marker)*, chain 2, repeat from * to *. After crocheting for almost 60 years, it was just last year that I finally started using stitch markers to help me keep track of the stitch I'm supposed to slip st into at the end of a row. It has helped me so much.

You're chaining 2 in your corners. I would chain only 1 between the 2 hdcs but you may crochet tighter than me and need 2 chains to turn the corner. Whatever works for you is the way to go.

Char

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Char,
    My question was on the corners. I have done dc in the corners and then there is a ch 2 between the sets of dc's. I decided I wanted to do hdc and thought it was still ch 2 between the sts. I am right handed. After you do the last stitch before the corner space (the last st being the st right before the dc that's just before the space in the corner) then you crochet in the space right? and then in the st before the next dc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    Ah ha! I see where you're at! This is a mistake that every one of my beginner crocheters asks about.

No, you don't crochet in that space because the stitch you see is the slip stitch from the previous row. That slip stitch joins the end of the row being worked to the beginning of the same row and does not count in your total number of stitches. If you crochet into that stitch you will be adding one stitch to your total number along that row.

Try this: When you are at the end of a row and make your last stitch, put a stitch marker into that stitch, or slip a piece of contrasting yarn into the stitch. Then do your slip stitch into the first stitch of that row to join. Then do your chains, which raises your stitches to the level of the new row. Continue around to the end. Your last stitch will be into the stitch with the stitch marker. You will see what looks like one more stitch. That is your joining stitch. Don't crochet into it.

Hope this helps.
    Char

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!! I can't follow any of this! But, first of all, I am left-handed and second, I am finding the diagram patterns much easier to follow. Am doing an anigurumi (?????) (monkey) with a small blanket attached from a written pattern and had trouble when translating the round center stitches to the corner stitches.
    I worked it out with a diagram and it helped. But, don't know if it is right. Will attempt another monkey blanket and see if it will work better. Am always willing to learn!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelah, you made me laugh with your response. If following the diagram works for you then follow the diagram. Sometimes it just doesn't matter if it's right or not. If it looks good, lays the way it is supposed to lay and you do it the same way consistently, then, by golly, it's right! More than once I've made a mistake, ripped it out did it over the right way but decided my mistake looked better. So I ripped it out and did it again using my mistake. I just tell myself I invented a new stitch! LOL!
    Char

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Charcreates, You make me feel better about mistakes. I have since ripped out the corners made with the pattern instructions and have used the old
    tested method of corner that have had success with. Just love, love, love to crochet!!!!