Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

beautiful patterns in other languages

I have seen so many lovely things I would love to make in other languages. My problem is that although I can read and follow charts I often can't find the starting chain number. I also wonder how we are to know what weight of yarn/thread is called for and the required hook size. It would help to be able to figure out the gauge called for as well. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
    Thank you
    Karen

Post Thanks / Like
    One option is to contact the owner of the site which has the pattern. If it is posted on our site, you can contact the member who posted it and see if they have any ideas.

I have not crocheted from charts before, but I am sure some of the members here have. Others will be along and also chime in soon as well.

3. Likes karenlatlas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there! the japanese and russian patterns are just georgeous! I have studied the charts, as I prefer working from charts and here is what I do: the size in cm or inches are usually indicated and this is where I start to determine the yarn weight. I try do find a yarn and crochet size that would fit the size (inches or cm) of the foundation with the number of stitches indicated. It takes a bit of time but it is worth it. The indications are quite clear once we have found the starting point, normally a dark triangle.

Hopefully, this will help! Good luck!

5. Thanks karenlatlas, missro007 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Karen,
    I crochet from lots of Japanese and Russian charts. Sounds like loulou has a real system that works. I just start making the item from whatever yarn I like and can usually tell by the first or second row if it is running too big or too small. Then I adjust the pattern accordingly, reducing or increasing the number of repeats as shown in the chart. Of course my method requires ripping out and starting over, but, oh heck, I'm used to doing that.

As for the number in the starting chain, I get out my magnifying glass and count the number of stitches in a row, add the number of turning chains I think I'll need, turn and start on the pattern of the body. When I get to the end, sometimes I need more chains, sometimes I need less. Rip it out and start over. It's not like I have to rip out an entire garment, it's just one or two rows.
    Char
    Last edited by CHARCREATES; 08-22-2015 at 11:11 PM.

7. Thanks karenlatlas, missro007 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Love your dog, loulou!!!

9. Thanks smilingloulou thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    These are some great tips you ladies shared!! I love a lot of the Japanese & Russian patterns too. You've given me inspiration to try one!!

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you for the tips! I think trial and error must be the only solution if there isn't a gauge listed. I will just continue trying!

Post Thanks / Like
    Go for it, ladies. Give this site a try. I have made many ladies tops from this Japanese site and they have all turned out beautiful. If you can crochet from charts, you can make these. Read the info in the beginning. Most patterns tell you the number in the starting chain. They also tell you that the turning chains are not included in the count. I used fine baby yarn and didn't worry about gauge. If after the first or second row it looked too large or too small I ripped it out and adjusted the pattern by decreasing or increasing the number of repeats. I also made them longer if I felt it needed to be.

http://gosyo.co.jp/english/pattern/e...ess_tunic.html

Char

13. Thanks Beanycat, karenlatlas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link! Japanese pattern with english instructions. What a treat! I will certainly try a few of those patterns !

Thanks again!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingloulou View Post
    Thanks for the link! Japanese pattern with english instructions. What a treat! I will certainly try a few of those patterns !

Thanks again!!
    You're very welcome. I came across that site on Ravelry. After I made the first top I was hooked (pun intended). I've lost track of how many items I've made from that site but every one was a hit.
    ve lost

16. Likes karenlatlas liked this post