Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Post Thanks / Like

Question Confused by pattern instructions. please HELP!!

Hi! I am crocheting a doily (my first) and have run into some confusion in the pattern instructions. This doily, like most, is worked in rounds. The first row was simply making chains then sl st into beginning ch to form a ring. The second row consisted of ch 3 then 24 dc in ring (25 dc). The third round was treble crocheting in each dc around with a sl st in 4th ch of beginning Treble Crochet. Here is where I am confused. The first step of the fourth round says to sl st into the loop. What loop is the pattern speaking of? The loop that is on the hook? That doesn't seem right since the only loop on the hook is the one that was just made by sl st into beginning treble crochet. I do not see anything else in the work that could be classified as a loop though. Could someone please explain this to me? It is a lovely doily and I can't wait to get back to work on it but the beginning of each round after this requires sl st into this unknown loop and I would hate to mess it up because I didn't understand this part of the instructions. Thank you in advance!

2. Likes amasha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Charlotte,

I just duplicated what you wrote out for the instructions. (Are you sure there are no increases in the 3rd round which are all treble crochets ... mine is forming a "bowl" and won't lay flat.)

It's my understanding that after you finish that round by slip stitching into the beginning treble crochet and then where you say the first step of the fourth round is to make a slip stitch into the "loop" . . . I'm almost sure it means to slip stitch into the next space between the next treble crochet and the third treble crochet. OR perhaps between the beginning chain you just stitched into the top of, and the next treble crochet. See if that works.

What are your instructions for the next stitches after doing that?

4. Likes amasha liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for responding. I think you may be right about the spaces. I have just never heard them referred to as loops. Yours may be forming a bowl because I was not specific enough with the instructions. The pattern starts with chain 11, join to form ring, then ch 3, 24 dc in ring (25 dc). Then ch 6 trc in next dc then *ch2, trc in each dc. Repeat from * around, ch 2, join in 4th St of beginning ch. (25 trc). The next round says sl st into loop, ch 5, dc in same loop, * 1dc, ch 2, 1 dc in next loop, repeat from * around, join in 3rd St of ch. If you would like a better look at the full instructions the pattern can be found at craftingandcooking.com. it is the Pink Pineapple Doily. Thanks again for the help. I will try crocheting into the spaces and see if that helps.

6. Likes amasha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte1014 View Post
    Thank you for responding. I think you may be right about the spaces. I have just never heard them referred to as loops. Yours may be forming a bowl because I was not specific enough with the instructions. The pattern starts with chain 11, join to form ring, then ch 3, 24 dc in ring (25 dc). Then ch 6 trc in next dc then *ch2, trc in each dc. Repeat from * around, ch 2, join in 4th St of beginning ch. (25 trc). The next round says sl st into loop, ch 5, dc in same loop, * 1dc, ch 2, 1 dc in next loop, repeat from * around, join in 3rd St of ch. If you would like a better look at the full instructions the pattern can be found at craftingandcooking.com. it is the Pink Pineapple Doily. Thanks again for the help. I will try crocheting into the spaces and see if that helps.
    You're welcome, Charlotte. You'll be putting that slip stitch in the ch 2 spaces between the treble crochets! I have a hunch you'll do well now.

I didn't understand the use of "loop" but now I see that the trebles linked together with the ch 2 does sort of look like a "loop'!

I followed your advice and went to the website. What a nice website she has and that turquoise (pink pineapple doily) is gorgeous! LOL, I was looking for a photo of a "pink" doily and almost missed it.

Thanks for coming by and asking for help here at Crochet Talk. We may not always be able to help someone when they're stuck in a pattern, but we TRY!

Don't be a stranger...stop by often if you can

8. Likes amasha liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    You're welcome, Charlotte. You'll be putting that slip stitch in the ch 2 spaces between the treble crochets! I have a hunch you'll do well now.

I didn't understand the use of "loop" but now I see that the trebles linked together with the ch 2 does sort of look like a "loop'!

I followed your advice and went to the website. What a nice website she has and that turquoise (pink pineapple doily) is gorgeous! LOL, I was looking for a photo of a "pink" doily and almost missed it.

Thanks for coming by and asking for help here at Crochet Talk. We may not always be able to help someone when they're stuck in a pattern, but we TRY!

Don't be a stranger...stop by often if you can
    Thank you so much for the advice and, yes, it is coming along nicely now... Almost finished it is a beautiful doily and I think a good one for my first try. I've made other miscellaneous things but this is my favorite thing so far.

At first I was a bit upset with myself for not finding a vibrant color like Cassandra Cae did on her blog. I am crocheting mine in an off-white color but the closer I get to completion the more I find I like it the way it is. That said, this one is going on an end table in my living room, and I found another pattern that I think will go wonderfully on my kitchen table in a bright color like the one used for this pattern.

Also, I will not be a stranger. It's wonderful to find a community of fellow crochet enthusiasts like myself. I look forward to getting to know others on here and welcome any advice or tips I can get or give.

10. Likes kitty jean liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Charlotte, I bet your doily is gorgeous!

Guess what? I just finished reading a definition of crochet in a 1915 publication. It says that crochet is a method of creating fabrics and laces by joining LOOPS of thread using a hook. So, that appears to be where the usage of loop comes from!

Have a lovely day.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!