Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Difficulty Using Boucle Yarn

So I just started working on a cute ripple baby afghan using Boucle yarn. It's a super-soft yarn, but doggone it! I forgot how difficult boucle yarn is to work with. It's slow going for me and it's taking a lot of patience. I bought the yarn at Hobby Lobby, it's "Baby Bee Baby Mine!" yarn, and it wasn't cheap. Beware of any kind of boucle yarn. Talk about major splitting. And it's difficult to pull from the skein and frog. It gets caught on itself.

Have any of you ever crocheted with boucle yarn?

Shelley
    Attached Images Attached Images Difficulty Using Boucle Yarn-img_0258-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    Your baby afghan is very pretty! Keep at it until you get used to the feel and flow of the yarn.

I made a shawl. The stitches were very hard to see. To anyone wanting to use boucle yarn, I would suggest using a brighter color. I used Purl Essence Rainbow Boucle. I didn't have a problem pulling from the skein that I can remember. It's been a while since I made this shawl.

Difficulty Using Boucle Yarn-picot-boo-shawl-multi-black-5-jpg
    Last edited by crochetdiva; 08-06-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    A gorgeous shawl Harrietta, I love love it! You do such gorgeous work.

This boucle yarn gets "stuck" when I'm pulling it from the center of the skein... and I end up pulling out big clumps of yarn barf to unravel. While I love the softness of it, boucle yarn definitely isn't my thing. I won't be using it again. I'll finish up the baby blanket I'm working on... and then I'll be stuck with several leftover skeins that I bought. Ugh.

Hold up! I just found my receipt in the bag yay! When I'm finished with my baby blanket, I'll return the extra 3-4 skeins I have left. I feel better now LOL whew!

Shelley

4. Likes crochetdiva, Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    So I just started working on a cute ripple baby afghan using Boucle yarn. It's a super-soft yarn, but doggone it! I forgot how difficult boucle yarn is to work with. It's slow going for me and it's taking a lot of patience. I bought the yarn at Hobby Lobby, it's "Baby Bee Baby Mine!" yarn, and it wasn't cheap. Beware of any kind of boucle yarn. Talk about major splitting. And it's difficult to pull from the skein and frog. It gets caught on itself.

Shelley

I have 4 really big skeins of boucle that I got in a thrift store box, and trying to make pieces with it for various patterns I would never buy more. It's difficult, to say the least. I always put my yarn inside a big coffee can on the floor beside me while crocheting, and if it's not rolled up, I just let it roll off the outside of the skein and not use it from the center. For me boucle is usually best if using a big hook and open lacy stitches.
    Shelley, your blanket is beautiful with very nice stitch work that I would never guess as boucle. I'm glad you found your receipts!

And Harrietta, your shawl is beautiful like all of yours are. I'm using a delicate 2 ply slightly fuzzy yarn right now on a long and wide but not deep triangle scarf that looks rather like knitting and feels like it's going to take forever to finish, I have to finish a full crib size baby blanket by Christmas, and I frogged a horribly frustrating ribbed section from my 1st top to change the bottom edging, so that means the whole back panel has to be re-done... but I want to like it when it's done so it'll get done when it's done!

My current WIP scarf has to be wet blocked to show the stitch work better and that in itself is going to be a huge project, but the designer showed pics of her before & after blocking and you wouldn't believe the difference in how much better the blocking made it look. Me and my great project choices.... I took a lot of time this year to learn how to make garments (tops) and new stitches that are good for making the tops with, and learning is certainly what I've been doing! One thing I learn is which patterns I like and which I don't, but sometimes you don't know until you're in the middle of it and hate to stop after you've gotten your yarn and have so much work done on it already!

Oh well, it'll all get done eventually and I'll hopefully have 2 new pcs for me and a grandson's winter blanket done when these 3 projects a re complete, I have discovered that I dislike some big projects and wish I could have more patience and relax while doing them. I hate feeling like I need to hurry a project!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 08-08-2015 at 07:50 PM. Reason: changes & additions

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post

Shelley
    I have a dumb question, does it say boucle yarn on the package? or do you have to know what kind of yarn it is before buying it?

7. Likes justplainjudy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a photo of what I've been dealing with. Ugh. Never again.

Shelley
    Attached Images Attached Images Difficulty Using Boucle Yarn-img_0262-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay so I finished the baby blanket I was making with Boucle yarn. I like the way it turned out, it's so soft and squishy. I finally got my momentum going with the yarn and then it worked up quickly. Even though it's baby yarn, I used a size I hook and had to crochet very loosely. I'm pleased with it.

Shelley
    Attached Images Attached Images Difficulty Using Boucle Yarn-img_0263-1-jpg 

10. Likes missro007, Nova55, justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Susan, your paragraph 4: If I don't like a pattern, I mark it "don't use" and why I don't want to use it. I use the yarn for something I do like. You're a doll, thanks for all your kind words. Praying for you. Peace & love, ---harrietta
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad you found your receipts. Even if you didn't find them, I believe you could still take the yarn back to the store. They would probably give you a gift card instead of a refund.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    The blankie is nice!! I made a poncho from a Lion brand kit from that yarn 10 years ago. The pattern required an H hook but to see n feel the stiches I went up a hook size. THEN, I had to buy more yarn because it was super long & lm only 5 feet so I gave it to my son's mother-in-law. She's a 6 footer & she loves it!! It is hard to see the stitches but the end result is so petty! !

14. Likes crochetdiva liked this post