Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Any Tips on Best Way to Stuff these Snow Babies?

This is what I'm currently working on.

Mary Maxim Snowbabies (8") Yarn Craft Kit from Mary Maxim | Shop Parents.com

I've gotten the body of the boy made and I'm supposed to stuff it now before continuing with making his head. I bought Fairfield's Soft Touch Poly-fil Supreme to stuff with.

What I would appreciate would be some good tips on the best way to stuff this correctly.

Thanks to anything you can tell me!

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the pattern! way cute, here is what I would do. I can see that he needs to stand up right? make a bag about the size of the body and stuff it with pellets that amigurumi's use for their animals that need to stand up. Can't think of the name right now. If you make the bag, the pellets will not fall out through the body of the snowman. Make sure you close the bag in a way the pellets do not escape! I would then stuff the head with regular stuffing. This is what I would do anyway. Would love to see the finished snowman! Wish I could buy the pattern!
    Last edited by DonnaPBradshaw; 07-28-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Poinciana! Love these guys! I make Amis and if the bottom is large enough and you stuff it well it should stand fine. The key to stuffing is to use a LOT! I use dried beans for weight in the bottoms of Amis that need them. The beans worked very well when I made a Pacman which is round and not very wide. I don't believe you will have any problem with the snow family as the bottoms are of a good size. Just stuff,stuff,stuff! imalefty

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ever so much for the tips, Donna and Imalefty! I am grateful for them...I've never done this stuffing thing before. I have his body and head finished and I'm making his little hat now, then his scarf.

I've changed two things from the given pattern. I'm not going to make his arms and no carrot nose for my snow-kid, LOL! We never made arms on our snowmen - we stuck sticks in them for arms. And we never used a carrot for a nose so he won't have a nose, either. (Oh, and because he's supposed to be a little boy he doesn't get a pipe, either, to puff on, lol.)

When I get around to making a grown snowman, if ever, he'll have a pipe and a top hat!

I'm a lefty, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Snowbaby is coming along nicely. I haven't had enough spare time to work on him. I did get his cap crocheted but unbelievably, the pattern called for 10 rows to make the cap. When I finished the tenth row (and we're only speaking of 15 stitches per row) it was definitely not big enough. I checked and double-checked the pattern and checked again and finally concluded the pattern has an error. I added 9 more rows and it came out perfect! When I finish here I'll make his scarf. then get him all organized and packed away for display in winter.