Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

what is the easiest way your join your granny squares?

I've watched a video on "join as you go" for granny squares. It shows a chart to follow, I can't find where to print that chart. Here is the website I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsX...hqOw-ppSBcGCzA

Is there a better way to join your squares? I'm not the expert so I'm asking all you guys who are!

2. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link for you, Donna.

Knot Your Nana's Crochet: 10. Different Ways To Join Granny Squares

For the afghan for my mom, I'm going to join the squares with a standard SC stitch. It gives them a raised ridge in between the squares and adds a frame around each square. It's very easy to do.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Shelley! you are so helpful to me! Will you have to sew in a lot of ends after you join your afghan for your mother? I'm hoping not to have to do that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw View Post
    Thank you Shelley! you are so helpful to me! Will you have to sew in a lot of ends after you join your afghan for your mother? I'm hoping not to have to do that!
    Donna, I don't have a lot of tails to sew in because after I cut the ends and change colors, I hold the tail straight across next to the stitches, and I crochet OVER them for a few inches. That's the best way I've found to deal with tails and they stay put for me. When I end up joining the squares using a SC stitch, I'll do the same thing, crochet over the tails from the previous rows.

Hope this helps you!

Shelley

6. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand what you are saying Shelley, do you sew the rows vertical or horizontal?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you talking about joining the squares? I join the squares horizontally, in rows across.I put the squares facing out, with the front of the squares facing out, and I SC them together.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Then, after I'm done crocheting them all together, I usually add a few rows of SC all the way around just to give it a border. With the afghan I'm making for my mom, I'll probably do one row of SC in each of the 5 colors, as a border all the way around.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Then, after I'm done crocheting them all together, I usually add a few rows of SC all the way around just to give it a border. With the afghan I'm making for my mom, I'll probably do one row of SC in each of the 5 colors, as a border all the way around.

Shelley
    that sounds so cute!!! You did answer my question perfectly! Now I hope to make my afghan perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw View Post
    I've watched a video on "join as you go" for granny squares. It shows a chart to follow, I can't find where to print that chart. Here is the website I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsX...hqOw-ppSBcGCzA

Is there a better way to join your squares? I'm not the expert so I'm asking all you guys who are!
    I have had a love/hate relationship with granny squares for many years....love making them hate joining them
    I don't have the patience to sew them and hate all those knots....really, really abhor knots
    I don't always like the ridge you get if you single crochet them together
    Hate the time it takes as my next project looms in my mind quicker than I can complete the one I am on
    I am into quick and easy....so I finally tried the continuous join.
    I thought it would be difficult and I was amazed at how simple ti works out.
    You can do it in 3 chain or 5 chain ( I like the 5)
    There is a two part video on you tube and the links are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=foQB6X8q2a0
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisAnn View Post
    I have had a love/hate relationship with granny squares for many years....love making them hate joining them
    I don't have the patience to sew them and hate all those knots....really, really abhor knots
    I don't always like the ridge you get if you single crochet them together
    Hate the time it takes as my next project looms in my mind quicker than I can complete the one I am on
    I am into quick and easy....so I finally tried the continuous join.
    I thought it would be difficult and I was amazed at how simple ti works out.
    You can do it in 3 chain or 5 chain ( I like the 5)
    There is a two part video on you tube and the links are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=foQB6X8q2a0
    thank you DorisAnn! I will watch this for sure! I'm getting so much help it's amazing and I'm very grateful to everyone who gives their ideas!