Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Help!

Here is a problem for anyone who knows about momma cats. Here is our problem:

My son's family has 2 adult female cats. They have never had cats before. Now both mommas have had kittens.

#1 had 5 kittens (adorable) about 2 weeks ago and eyes are not open yet they are so small yet.

Momma #2 had 3 kittens about 3 days ago.( also adorable) They could be from the same daddy because they look like the first mommas litter.
    Now .. My son built a second box for the second momma and her little ones. (I think he built it too close to the first ones.)
    Since last night the 3 little ones are in with Momma #1 and her 5 !! Both mommas are getting along ok ...not fighting or anything. But momma #1 has not enough teats for 5 little ones and we are wondering if the 3 little ones will get enough to eat...will they starve? Also I know that cat mommas makes the little ones do the bathroom jobs by licking them.
    Do you think momma #1 heard the new ones meowing and went over and kidnapped them???. The boxes are so close to one another... like just in the next room in a kitty house. I am sure she did hear them if the momma left the box for something. My son tried to put the momma of the 3 over in the box with momma # 1 and she just jumps out. Have any of you experienced anything like this before and if you have any suggestions let us know. I am sure now the 3 have the smell of momma #1 on their bodies. I never heard anything like this before. We are looking for answers! I don't know where #2 gave birth to her 3 kittens. but Mark just built the second box last night. They are going away for a week's vacation Sat morning and I am going to be feeding the cats. OH me oh my!!!! I don't know what to expect when I go down to their house. Please answer soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Here is a problem for anyone who knows about momma cats. Here is our problem:

My son's family has 2 adult female cats. They have never had cats before. Now both mommas have had kittens.

#1 had 5 kittens (adorable) about 2 weeks ago and eyes are not open yet they are so small yet.

Momma #2 had 3 kittens about 3 days ago.( also adorable) They could be from the same daddy because they look like the first mommas litter.
    Now .. My son built a second box for the second momma and her little ones. (I think he built it too close to the first ones.)
    Since last night the 3 little ones are in with Momma #1 and her 5 !! Both mommas are getting along ok ...not fighting or anything. But momma #1 has not enough teats for 5 little ones and we are wondering if the 3 little ones will get enough to eat...will they starve? Also I know that cat mommas makes the little ones do the bathroom jobs by licking them.
    Do you think momma #1 heard the new ones meowing and went over and kidnapped them???. The boxes are so close to one another... like just in the next room in a kitty house. I am sure she did hear them if the momma left the box for something. My son tried to put the momma of the 3 over in the box with momma # 1 and she just jumps out. Have any of you experienced anything like this before and if you have any suggestions let us know. I am sure now the 3 have the smell of momma #1 on their bodies. I never heard anything like this before. We are looking for answers! I don't know where #2 gave birth to her 3 kittens. but Mark just built the second box last night. They are going away for a week's vacation Sat morning and I am going to be feeding the cats. OH me oh my!!!! I don't know what to expect when I go down to their house. Please answer soon!
    Where is everyone???? no answers yet? No suggestions?? Maybe there aren't any cat lovers out there? I am afraid the 3 little ones may not survive. Anyway here's an update from my end...as of last night the 3 little ones were back in the box with their momma (#2 cat) and she did seem to be nursing them. How long they will stay there is not known or if they are still there this morning as I haven't heard
    from my son yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning, Patty...

Let me reassure you that what's going on with the two mommas and their litters is not unusual. It's normal for cat mommas to share their babies, especially when the litters are born so close in time. It quickly reaches the point where the kittens and mommas don't know who's who... lol! Each kitten has two mommas taking care of them!

We once had three momma cats with 11 babies between them. What a delightful experience that was. I personally think each kitten benefitted from it, too. (Needless to say, all the kittens were eventually neutered when they were old enough. And the mamas were neutered, too, but not until after the kittens were gone to new homes.)

The two most important bits of advice I have is, first, don't separate the kittens from their mommas too young. Kittens should remain with their mommas until they are at least 12 weeks old. Some people take the kittens away as early as 5 to 8 weeks and that's not too cool. Secondly, be sure to start their first immunizations before giving the kittens away. Talk to a vet for advice as to when they should get their first immunizations. I know vets are expensive but most vets give you a huge break when charging fees for litter care.

So, relax and enjoy watching them grow and play and learn all the things their mommas teach them. It's a very rewarding experience!
    Last edited by Poinciana; 07-02-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Poinciana, for your answer... I guess everything is going OK. We just need to leave them alone (just look at them)in their little houses and enjoy watching them. Last time I talked to my son he said both litters were with their own mammas. He could tell them apart because the 3 newest ones are smaller than the first ones. The first litter is becoming a little more active and I don't know if their eyes are open or not but they are more active than the other 3 little ones. If I can remember to do it, I am going to take my camera when I go to feed them this coming week. If I get pictures I will try to post some. I guess you can tell , I really love little kittens.
    My little Maltese is now 15 years old and beginning to fail a lot. I took him out on the deck for about an hour this morning while I tried to catch up on my Bible reading. I am still trying to read thru the Bible in a year. I am not sure how much longer I will have my little guy. He scared me yesterday. I heard him give out about 4 really different cries than what I had heard before. It really scared me. I sat down on the top step near him and cried for him. He staggered around a little in and out of his cage. I took him out then onto the deck for a while. I think he was constipated. He doesn't have any front teeth now so I am feeding him Gravy Train dog food. I thought I was buying for a small dog but it turns out It is really big pellets so I am taking the hammer and crushing it up so he can eat it better. I really does make gravy from the pellets but doesn't dissolve them completely so I crush them now. I don't think it would be good to try to have a kitten around as long as I have him. Love, Patty
    Last edited by redhead; 07-03-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am bird lover... having birds only
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about holding off on a kitten for a while. Kitten and puppies have so much energy that it may upset him. Try to enjoy whatever time you have with him. It's very upsetting, I know. That's the only fault these furry babies have. They break you heart because you love them so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like Momma 2 stole Momma Ones babies. She probably heard them meowing and just went and got them. Sounds like Momma one went and got her babies back. I think my first instinct would have been to put the babies back with their Mother.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good advice. Cats will take care of their babies. All is humans need to do is make sure the mamas have food and water.